Dead Xenia & Closed Green Star Polyp

PNWfishjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am new to reefing but have been in freshwater for a few years now. The issue is, my GSP is still not open after a week and I am worried about it. I also managed to kill two Xenia. I have been researching and trying to figure out why this happened, my calcium and magnesium is slightly low but I don't believe either are low enough to cause these issues.
I don't have a picture of the dead Xenia, but after day 3 it disintegrated and was consumed by my clean up crew. My first Xenia met a similar fate, part of it began to rot near the stalk and I cut that off with a razor blade, but eventually the rest melted as well. Both were drip acclimated over 45min-1hr. The drive from my LFS to my house was less than 1hr and I kept them in an insulated grocery bag both times. Xenia #2 was even opening its polyps and waving around towards the end of drip acclimating, so I really thought it may survive. I did a 20% wc after it melted.
The GSP opened partially on day 2, looking back I should've taken a picture then, but I was waiting for it to open more. It ended up closing back up and has been closed since then. I moved it today (Day 7) into its current position, slightly lower in the tank while still receiving enough flow to remove debris from the polyps.

The Tank:
Tank Size: 10 Gallons
Temp: 78.9 °F
Filtration: 200 GPH HOB & Live Rock
Light: 30 watt Nicrew Reef LED
Tank is 1.5months old
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.45
Phosphate: 0 - 0.25 (Using a liquid test kit so slightly estimating)
Calcium:360
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0 - 5ppm (Using a liquid test kit so slightly estimating)
Alkalinity: 143.2
Magnesium: 1,140
Supplements: Red Sea Reef Foundation Calcium+ 3ml x2 per week.
Feeding: 2-3x per week frozen baby brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, plankton or krill.
Clean Up Crew: x2 Astrea snails, 1 Emerald crab, 1 hermit crab x2 Nassarius snails
Water: RedSea salt mixed with dechlorinated tap water (TDS 58, spring water)

GSP D1.jpg GSP D3.jpg GSP D5.jpg GSP D7.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion or two.

On such a small tank, why not buy distilled water from the grocery store or buy RO/DI water from an LFS rather than declorinating tap water?

Consider a post in the 'Minimalist Reefer' thread here at R2R. See the link in my signature below.

OP
OP
PNWfishjunkie

PNWfishjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion or two.

On such a small tank, why not buy distilled water from the grocery store or buy RO/DI water from an LFS rather than declorinating tap water?

Consider a post in the 'Minimalist Reefer' thread here at R2R. See the link in my signature below.
I think I will do that. My TDS is pretty low so I thought it was ok, but do you think it may be the source of my problems?
And I will check that out, thank you!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TDS is pretty low so I thought it was ok, but do you think it may be the source of my problems?
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

If your CUC is fine, then I doubt it's the TDS (though RODI is always a good idea regardless just as a precaution).

I'd guess it's most likely an issue with lighting and/or flow, but hopefully some more experienced members will chime in for you here.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems your light is not providing enough unless there is some other unmeasured toxin causing a problem

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of those corals require high par lighting. But while xenia is often sold as a 'beginner friendly' coral it is still coral. Even the corals we consider hardy in this hobby are incredibly delicate animals. And honestly I don't think Xenia's reputation as being hardy is particularly warranted, it is very melty. I don't think your parameters are good for keeping it long term. The water needs to be dirtier...

GSP can be a bit finicky as well. It's not unusual for GSP to sulk for weeks at a time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The alkalinity is likely in ppm.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello! I am new to reefing but have been in freshwater for a few years now. The issue is, my GSP is still not open after a week and I am worried about it. I also managed to kill two Xenia. I have been researching and trying to figure out why this happened, my calcium and magnesium is slightly low but I don't believe either are low enough to cause these issues.
I don't have a picture of the dead Xenia, but after day 3 it disintegrated and was consumed by my clean up crew. My first Xenia met a similar fate, part of it began to rot near the stalk and I cut that off with a razor blade, but eventually the rest melted as well. Both were drip acclimated over 45min-1hr. The drive from my LFS to my house was less than 1hr and I kept them in an insulated grocery bag both times. Xenia #2 was even opening its polyps and waving around towards the end of drip acclimating, so I really thought it may survive. I did a 20% wc after it melted.
The GSP opened partially on day 2, looking back I should've taken a picture then, but I was waiting for it to open more. It ended up closing back up and has been closed since then. I moved it today (Day 7) into its current position, slightly lower in the tank while still receiving enough flow to remove debris from the polyps.

The Tank:
Tank is 1.5months old
Feeding: 2-3x per week frozen baby brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, plankton or krill.
Clean Up Crew: x2 Astrea snails, 1 Emerald crab, 1 hermit crab x2 Nassarius snails

PAR and light rarely an issue with these two coral. Its flow. They need flow to keep sediment off of them and to deliver nutrients. High phosphates can make them miserable but not a deal breaker.
Take a turkey baster and give a few bursts. If you see dust fly off, up the flow a little. Mine started that way and once they had a steady stream of water:

1708031885263.png
1708032027037.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A one month old tank is a challenging environment for corals. Usually will suggest to wait a few months before the first corals additions to let the tank mature and balance out,

The nutrients are very low for the type of corals you picked, they like slightly more 'dirty' water. Should have measurable nitrates and phosphates.

Is there any flow in the tank, or just the trinkle from the hob filter? Corals need flow.

Depending on where you live and whats in your tap water, a rodi system or distilled water might be more beneficial to corals.

OP
OP
PNWfishjunkie

PNWfishjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of those corals require high par lighting. But while xenia is often sold as a 'beginner friendly' coral it is still coral. Even the corals we consider hardy in this hobby are incredibly delicate animals. And honestly I don't think Xenia's reputation as being hardy is particularly warranted, it is very melty. I don't think your parameters are good for keeping it long term. The water needs to be dirtier...

GSP can be a bit finicky as well. It's not unusual for GSP to sulk for weeks at a time.
I have NeoNitro and NeoPhos, I can dose that to try and help it. I also just got some Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ Coral Nutrition, I used that for the first time yesterday. That has amino acids so to my understanding that should help?
Thank you for the input!

OP
OP
PNWfishjunkie

PNWfishjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR and light rarely an issue with these two coral. Its flow. They need flow to keep sediment off of them and to deliver nutrients. High phosphates can make them miserable but not a deal breaker.
Take a turkey baster and give a few bursts. If you see dust fly off, up the flow a little. Mine started that way and once they had a steady stream of water:

1708031885263.png
1708032027037.png
Those are gorgeous! I can move it to a higher area or I also have a powerhead I can use. Very little debris comes off when turkey bastering it, but it is still there nonetheless so I will work on that, thank you!

OP
OP
PNWfishjunkie

PNWfishjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A one month old tank is a challenging environment for corals. Usually will suggest to wait a few months before the first corals additions to let the tank mature and balance out,

The nutrients are very low for the type of corals you picked, they like slightly more 'dirty' water. Should have measurable nitrates and phosphates.

Is there any flow in the tank, or just the trinkle from the hob filter? Corals need flow.

Depending on where you live and whats in your tap water, a rodi system or distilled water might be more beneficial to corals.
I will work on 'dirtying' the water. The filter is rated 200gph and it is a 10 gallon tank so it is quite strong. I also have a powerhead that I can use, I will see what that does. I am planning to use distilled for my next water change.

OP
OP
PNWfishjunkie

PNWfishjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Tank:
Tank is 1.5months old

Update: One little guy is open! Thank you all for your help :))

Attachments

• GSP Day 10.jpg
    GSP Day 10.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 53

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back