Safest way to ship Utter Chaos?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where to ask this so if it needs to be moved please do. I will be shipping coral for the first time. I am shipping 10 utter chaos palys in state. I am going to do next day but what is the best way to ship them. The buyer wants them loose so he can glue to his rock work. I am looking for any advice here. TYIA.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've gotten some loose polyps in a specimen jar that had been closed underwater so there was no air bubbles inside. Everything made it safely and after a couple days of being angry, they settled in nicely.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that way. I was looking at moist shipment but I’m too chicken to do it this way. With loose shipping in a few different jars do I have to worry
About them fouling the water with paly toxin? Or am I over worrying too much

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that way. I was looking at moist shipment but I’m too chicken to do it this way. With loose shipping in a few different jars do I have to worry
About them fouling the water with paly toxin? Or am I over worrying too much
I'm definitely no expert on shipping, but my guess is they're going to be angry no matter which method you pick

Clowns-corals-cats

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I know I landed at the doctor 2 weeks ago for the exact thing. Got squirted in eye and my vision was affected for 4 days. Had to wear eyepatch. I was complacent. No more!! It was painful
Wow glad your ok. I completely stopped keeping them for fear of stuff like that. But I'm a paranoid person in general.

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the doctor had a laugh about that one once you were gone… :eek:
Funny thing is I went to the eye doctor and told him what I think it is and he never heard of it. He googled it while I was there and said he will be looking into this further. My diagnosis was biological poison to the eye

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing is I went to the eye doctor and told him what I think it is and he never heard of it. He googled it while I was there and said he will be looking into this further. My diagnosis was biological poison to the eye
At least he learned something! Some people think that once you get a doctorate, then you can’t learn anything else about your profession. You proved him wrong!

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would say my first shipping experience was a success all arrived and are doing well according to buyer. I know I went overboard on packaging but I wanted to make sure there would be no issues. I ended up putting them in little specimen bottles with a few pieces of carbon. After this I taped them shut and put in a ziplock back as a “just in case” scenario because we all know that happens. Then I stuffed them in styrofoam inside of the box and stuffed with plastic bags to keep everything from moving. Thanks to all for the tips

Attachments

• 0E1EF07A-EDCE-49E7-B2A7-2E04D7DB49C6.jpeg
    0E1EF07A-EDCE-49E7-B2A7-2E04D7DB49C6.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 25

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would say my first shipping experience was a success all arrived and are doing well according to buyer. I know I went overboard on packaging but I wanted to make sure there would be no issues. I ended up putting them in little specimen bottles with a few pieces of carbon. After this I taped them shut and put in a ziplock back as a “just in case” scenario because we all know that happens. Then I stuffed them in styrofoam inside of the box and stuffed with plastic bags to keep everything from moving. Thanks to all for the tips
Not overkill by any means :)
Good job!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back