Salifert calcium test - what does it mean when the ca-3 syringe is empty and color hasn't changed?

troiusmaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like exactly how my tank is looking so I did some testing. Ph is low at 7.4 or maybe less not sure (API test kit). Alkalinity is between 10-11 (API kit) and the Ca I guess is off the chart (Salifert). I guess this means the calcium is higher than 500.

Any way to get a more exact reading with the Salifert Ca kit? How can I safely raise my Ph?

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It means your Ca is greater than 500 PPM. Simply refill the syringe again, and keep going. Each 0.02 mL additional reagent needed to reach the endpoint equals another 10 PPM above the 500 PPM.

OP
OP
T

troiusmaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jim and Randy. I won't stress about the Ca but I am concerned about the pH being so low. I am going to get another kit and verify the results and I need to figure out a way to safely raise the pH. I use Oceanic salt and Seachem's 2 part dosing system.

Nathan0369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? Can you bring it back to normal parameters with a water change? What are the expiration dates on the test kits? With a pH that low, you should see corals die off.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 132 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back