Salifert magnesium test

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Another question to double check. I feel like I'm doing it wrong but idk.

So I did the salifert magnesium test. After adding the powder it goes straight to blue. This would mean my Magnesium is at 1,500 right? Or am I doing something wrong.

Thank you,

20210126_114019.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Another question to double check. I feel like I'm doing it wrong but idk.

So I did the salifert magnesium test. After adding the powder it goes straight to blue. This would mean my Magnesium is at 1,500 right? Or am I doing something wrong.

Thank you,
@RSREEFING I use the Salifert test, after you add 5 drops of MG-1 and a spoonful of MG-2 powder it turns solid blue? Never had that happen to me.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something wrong with how you are doing the test is my guess, read the sheet and do exactly what it says, don’t try and remember, think this test you don’t shake the power until you add the drops (could be the calcium test)

That blue is a very dark blue too not like the blue to Mark the end of the test.

Check you haven’t mixed the bottles up with a different test kit.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you did something wrong.

fill your vial with 3ml tank water.
add 6 drops of #1, mix
add 1 spoon of #2, mix
Titer up to 1 ML of #3, stop at the color change.

It sounds like you maybe added #3, before the last step?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something wrong with how you are doing the test is my guess, read the sheet and do exactly what it says, don’t try and remember, think this test you don’t shake the power until you add the drops (could be the calcium test)

That blue is a very dark blue too not like the blue to Mark the end of the test.

Check you haven’t mixed the bottles up with a different test kit.
You actually add the drops before the powder. I followed the directions and even tried a few youtube videos. It's the only test I have out. And made sure not to mix any.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You actually add the drops before the powder. I followed the directions and even tried a few youtube videos. It's the only test I have out. And made sure not to mix any.

yeah I was being lazy, couldn’t remember between the calcium and the magnesium tests.

If you are sure you are doing the test correctly, it could be a bad test kit, my calcium and magnesium tests are reading off the charts at the minute and so are a few other peoples test kits I’ve spoken with.

Back