Salifert NH3 test kit failure.

vegastyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up a new tank, bought Salifert test kits for NH3, NO2 and NO3. Also Dr Tims One and Only along with Dr Tims NH3CL. Added NH3cl per Dr Tim's instructions for a 70 gallon system, waited for an hour of ciculation to test and no reading on NH3. Waiting overnight, still no measurable NH3. Added another dose, waited 12 hours again, barely .1 PPM reading. Added another dose of NH3CL and was suspicious of test kit, so I ordered an API Amonnia test kit. And you can imagine the API results, OFF THE CHART OVER 4 PPM NH3. Very disappointed in the Salifert kit, was not expired, still good for 10 months. So I guess its water changes and more Dr Tim's One and Only. No livestock in tank and it's crystal clear. Salifert NO2 is just barely showing a reading now, zero on NO3.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's probably your API test kit that is wrong. API measures ammonia different than Salifert. I forget exactly the reason, something about free and binded ammonia. To put it to the test contact Salifert and ask for a test regent. If the test is bad they will refund money.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 46.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back