Salifert Nitrate test? Ammonia?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How accurate are these? My API has been all over the map with testing. One day it seems like 15, the next 5, then 10. I have a hard time with yellow/orange. I got a Salifert test and it was so much easier to read and was very clearly at 2.5. Using the regular method and the low method both were at 2.5.

Anyone have issues with that test? I do have a fair amount of GHA so I was kind of expecting it to be higher than that (phosphates test at 0).

What about Salifert ammonia test? The API has been showing about .1 all the time. The Salifert was even harder to tell with. It was no more than .1 and may have been 0. It didn’t really match anything on the card. I think I’m color challenged lol

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you have some color perception issues?

I don't test for ammonia or nitrate any more. But I do test Ca and alk every week. I use API all the time. I have Salifert kits as well and tend to use them when I get an API test that seems really off base. But 99% of the time my Salifert test ends up telling me the same thing the API test does. Occasionally the Salifert is way different, so I test again with the API and find that somehow I screwed up the first API test and the retest gives me the same result as the Salifert test.

I find both to be reliable. But Ca and alk aren't the same as ammonia and nitrate, so you may have different results. BTW, I do have test kits for ammonia and nitrate by both API and Salifert, they always give me zeros for results so I just don't bother any more. My fuge full of growing macro algae and tank bacteria do their jobs.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you have some color perception issues?

I don't test for ammonia or nitrate any more. But I do test Ca and alk every week. I use API all the time. I have Salifert kits as well and tend to use them when I get an API test that seems really off base. But 99% of the time my Salifert test ends up telling me the same thing the API test does. Occasionally the Salifert is way different, so I test again with the API and find that somehow I screwed up the first API test and the retest gives me the same result as the Salifert test.

I find both to be reliable. But Ca and alk aren't the same as ammonia and nitrate, so you may have different results. BTW, I do have test kits for ammonia and nitrate by both API and Salifert, they always give me zeros for results so I just don't bother any more. My fuge full of growing macro algae and tank bacteria do their jobs.
My tank is still new (about 3 weeks) so that's why I'm checking these particular things. From what I read, API ammonia test is known for showing .25 when really it's 0 so I wanted to get another test for that. The nitrates just seemed odd that they'd bounce around that much. Obviously I prefer the Salifert results for that test, as I'd like to keep nitrates under 5, though 10 to 15 for a new tank I suppose isn't that out of the norm.

I'll pick up a reef test kit eventually and my LFS said to get Salifert for that over the API.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to seeing the API colors is to do it in the same lighting conditions every time. I go in the kitchen where we have indirect but bright cool fluorescent lighting. Then I position myself so the lighting is directly into the API test tube and hold the sample card right behind the test tube so the test tube is in front of the white portion of the sample card.

Nitrates shouldn't bounce around too much. I'd do a test and then do it again and see if you get the same result. If you can do it 3 times and get the same result, you are doing it correctly. If the results vary, you are doing something wrong to make the results change.

Good luck. And enjoy the new tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back