Salifert Nitrate Test

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,
so I understand that when using the Salifert nitrate test that you need to divide by 10 when reading from the side of the test vial, but is that rule there constantly or only if you have a high reading when looking from the side? For example, if I look from the side, the reading comes out at around 25-50ppm, if I divide by 10 it's 2.5=5ppm, is this the correct way? I am confused because if you were actually at 25-50ppm, how would you know?

I am also confused because on the instructions it says something about if it reads less than 10ppm, then you should read through the side. This is confusing because if I am at 2.5-5ppm then I am lower than 10ppm and judging by that I should be reading through the side, which then gives me 25-5ppm... I don't know if I am doing these tests incorrectly

To sum it up, should you take the reading from the side and divide by 10 no matter what the result is, or do I need to consider the lower than 10ppm rule that the instructions say?

Thanks

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should first be looking from the top. If it appears to be 10ppm or less from the top, then you can look to the side.

When you do this, the side view will be much higher than the top view, which is why you divide by 10. But your results should be the same, either method you choose. Looking both ways is more to verify that the reading is correct as it can be sometimes hard to view only from the top since the colours are so close together.

My nitrates are constantly around 2-5 ppm using the same test kit. I use this method every time.

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should first be looking from the top. If it appears to be 10ppm or less from the top, then you can look to the side.

When you do this, the side view will be much higher than the top view, which is why you divide by 10. But your results should be the same, either method you choose. Looking both ways is more to verify that the reading is correct as it can be sometimes hard to view only from the top since the colours are so close together.

My nitrates are constantly around 2-5 ppm using the same test kit. I use this method every time.
Right ok that makes sense
From the top it looks less than 10ppm and from the side it lookd like 25-50ppm which I divide by 10 so that's correct.
I assume that if from the top down it looks like let's say 20ppm, then it actually is

Thanks

Hot Sauce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was more than 10 looking at the top, it will be more than 100 looking at the side. The colour chart only goes up to 100.

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right ok that makes sense
From the top it looks less than 10ppm and from the side it lookd like 25-50ppm which I divide by 10 so that's correct.
I assume that if from the top down it looks like let's say 20ppm, then it actually is

Thanks
You got it, exactly!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back