Salifert test results...

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded most of my api test kits to salifert and here are my current parameters:
Ph- 8.0/8.1 depending on TOD
Calcium-530
Magnesium-1650
Phosphate- undetectable
Temp- 77.6/78.1 depending on TOD
Salinity- 1.025/6
Kh/Alk- 11.2

A few of these are a bit high so I need your guy's input on this, should I lower my mag and kh? All of my tanks inhabitants are thriving and showing no signs of stress.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular water changes should bring your parameters back in-line without having to do anything else. Unless you’re also dosing, in which case you could cut back a bit on alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Depending on the salt you’re using, it may also have a higher alkalinity, etc.

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular water changes should bring your parameters back in-line without having to do anything else. Unless you’re also dosing, in which case you could cut back a bit on alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. Depending on the salt you’re using, it may also have a higher alkalinity, etc.
Good lord you're everywhere haha. I only dose trace every once in a while (most likely the mag) but I've never dosed kh or calcium so I'll do a water change and see how things are after

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the parameters on your salt (should be on the outside of the container). Sometimes it can be a little off from the stated numbers.
On the bag is says at my current Salinity I should have: cal-455, mag- 1345, my tank is way off

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the bag is says at my current Salinity I should have: cal-455, mag- 1345, my tank is way off
Your testing could also be off a bit (not saying it is, but we all screw up the odd test now and then). Regular water changes should bring everything slowly back in line.

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate test is garbage IMO I had it used it for months and had no trace of po4. I was only able to get a good reading once. Who know what it really was. Cause when I went to Hanna for po4 my first test was 0.08. As for alk it’s a good test just recommend shooting for the first shade of pink every time. Make sure lighting is same every time also. I would mix up a fresh batch of water and then test it before adding it when you are gonna do a water change to see what your really working with using the new tests. This will give you test comparison to the ones you have form the DT.

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little digging and it seems the salt mix I use isn't usually mixed well so I'll have to hand mix the salt before I dissolve it in water or else one batch I do will have varying Kh levels. Which could explain my high kh as I did a large water change not too long ago

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you have a high alk and the do water changer you just adding to the alk in the tank. Basically dosing with out meaning to. There’s a few threads on here explaining it in more detail.

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it seems I can't really do anything except for letting it do down naturally or using vinegar as a short term solution

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you mean reading around?

the salt brand you use will have a stated alk range?

aside from that what alk range have you chosen for your tank?
Yeah my salt doesn't have an alk range on the bag, I would want around 9-10 but I found this thread from a bit ago with the alk of my salt mix and it's 11 so makes sense why my alk is high Post in thread 'Switching salt mix more success?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/switching-salt-mix-more-success.309735/post-3809861

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I use reef crystals

that salt has very high alk, so no wonder you have high alk.

If you don’t have many corals, then you won’t be using a a lot of alk, so each time you do a water change you will be most likely putting back more alk than the corals have used, or at least just putting the tank back to 11 as the corals haven’t used much alk.

If you want your alk at 9, I would change to a salt that has lower alk or dose my fresh salt mix to lower the alk before adding to the tank.

If the tank does use a lot of alk then yoursalt will be fine as long as you don’t do huge water changes.

If you test your alk over 24 hours at the same time, see how much alk it is using then you’ll be able to see how much alk you need to add to,the tank you keep it stable, and how much a water change will increase the alk in the tank, this way you will know exactly what you need to do to keep it stable at 9.

OP
OP
Slayyyter

Slayyyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that salt has very high alk, so no wonder you have high alk.

If you don’t have many corals, then you won’t be using a a lot of alk, so each time you do a water change you will be most likely putting back more alk than the corals have used, or at least just putting the tank back to 11 as the corals haven’t used much alk.

If you want your alk at 9, I would change to a salt that has lower alk or dose my fresh salt mix to lower the alk before adding to the tank.

If the tank does use a lot of alk then yoursalt will be fine as long as you don’t do huge water changes.

If you test your alk over 24 hours at the same time, see how much alk it is using then you’ll be able to see how much alk you need to add to,the tank you keep it stable, and how much a water change will increase the alk in the tank, this way you will know exactly what you need to do to keep it stable at 9.
I'm planning on adding quite a few corals soon so I guess this will be fine

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back