Salifert vs...?

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know another test kit, that makes sense? I am frustrated trying to figure out, what my Magnesium is. I use 1 full syringe, and 1.5 ml from a 2nd one. doesn't Hanna make this yet? so so frustrating. I even tried a different syringe, I googled and YouTubed it, and I cannot wrap my brain around it. gah! ;Rage

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know another test kit, that makes sense? I am frustrated trying to figure out, what my Magnesium is. I use 1 full syringe, and 1.5 ml from a 2nd one

Why do you think that doesn't make sense?

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone know another test kit, that makes sense? I am frustrated trying to figure out, what my Magnesium is. I use 1 full syringe, and 1.5 ml from a 2nd one. doesn't Hanna make this yet? so so frustrating. I even tried a different syringe, I googled and YouTubed it, and I cannot wrap my brain around it. gah! ;Rage
It’s too high. I really wish there was a way to get a faster change in color thus using less reagent. If you start with 1ml of water, but then you would have to add 2.5 drops and half a spoon of powder reagent. The difficulty being 2.5 drops.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s too high. I really wish there was a way to get a faster change in color thus using less reagent. If you start with 1ml of water, but then you would have to add 2.5 drops and half a spoon of powder reagent. The difficulty being 2.5 drops.

I know that means its high, but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

What salt mix are you using and have you tested that?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used any of their titration test (I'm just guessing this one is) but I generally like salifert.
If you are just wanting to try another brand for magnesium I use Red Sea Pro and like it. The only pain is that it takes a while because your supposed to shake the vial between every drop.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think that doesn't make sense?
because I cant figure out how to read the chart, vs what amount of agent I used. I use I/O reef crystals, but am changing to Red Sea black bucket. I just like how it mixes. I am going to start using AFR, so I am trying to figure out where I am on everything. My alk I just tested, and Hanna says it's 5.5 so I tested again. same. so then I tested another tank, and it read 7.9. so idk. I just cannot make sense on how to read the chart that comes with salifert vs. what I used.

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand - do you want a test that tells you the correct number, or the number you want to hear? Because it sounds like you want the second of those. If you're getting a number that high, it's almost certainly because your water is high in magnesium. Changing to a different test kit won't change that.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand - do you want a test that tells you the correct number, or the number you want to hear? Because it sounds like you want the second of those. If you're getting a number that high, it's almost certainly because your water is high in magnesium. Changing to a different test kit won't change that.
ok. You're not hearing what I am making clear as mud. I CANNOT figure out what my numbers are. I thought it was high also...but I'd like to know exactly how high. I'm not looking to find something to "tell me what I want to hear" I am looking to find something easier to understand, so that I can address it if it's high OR low. I should assume, then, if it's over 1ml syringe, it's too high? but that still doesnt tell me in terms I can understand...the number, should someone actually ask me. I am not new to reefing. Not at all. I am however new to these test kits. well, sorta. I havent been able to figure them out much at all, because of either colors, or the numbers dont add up, in a way I can understand. ;Shy

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used any of their titration test (I'm just guessing this one is) but I generally like salifert.
If you are just wanting to try another brand for magnesium I use Red Sea Pro and like it. The only pain is that it takes a while because your supposed to shake the vial between every drop.
I have a hard time reading that kit too. Idk. if my LFS used anything other than API, I'd ask for their help. I will search out more internet videos I guess. there's got to be someone other than myself, that doesnt understand how to read this. I cannot fix things, if I cannot read the tests.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

salifert is great for mag…what salt are you using, to need to fill the syringe again sounds as either your mag is sky high or you are doing the test wrong, most kits have the same syringe so changing kits wrong help.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salifert is great for mag…what salt are you using, to need to fill the syringe again sounds as either your mag is sky high or you are doing the test wrong, most kits have the same syringe so changing kits wrong help.
I did it twice on that tank. I will try again. What would make my mag that high? I am not dosing anything other than AB+. I use I/O reef crystals

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it twice on that tank. I will try again. What would make my mag that high? I am not dosing anything other than AB+. I use I/O reef crystals

doing the test wrong or the wrong salinity in the tank.

Have you tried just testing your fresh salt mix and seeing if you get the reading the salt comes in at on the bucket? Around 1300 a believe it should be.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, Calcium was 425, and alk was low LO
doing the test wrong or the wrong salinity in the tank.

Have you tried just testing your fresh salt mix and seeing if you get the reading the salt comes in at on the bucket? Around 1300 a believe it should be.
No. I am making water today, and will absolutley be doing this however. Calcium is 450, so I'm not understanding why I am running such high mag. Hopefully checking the new mix will show something. I run at 1.026 Mixed reef...slow growth TONS of coralline

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. You're not hearing what I am making clear as mud. I CANNOT figure out what my numbers are. I thought it was high also...but I'd like to know exactly how high. I'm not looking to find something to "tell me what I want to hear" I am looking to find something easier to understand, so that I can address it if it's high OR low. I should assume, then, if it's over 1ml syringe, it's too high? but that still doesnt tell me in terms I can understand...the number, should someone actually ask me. I am not new to reefing. Not at all. I am however new to these test kits. well, sorta. I havent been able to figure them out much at all, because of either colors, or the numbers dont add up, in a way I can understand. ;Shy
Personally, I would have thought that knowing it is off the chart is accurate enough, as once you're that high I wouldn't have thought that more accurate number would make that much difference.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, Calcium was 425, and alk was low LO

No. I am making water today, and will absolutley be doing this however. Calcium is 450, so I'm not understanding why I am running such high mag. Hopefully checking the new mix will show something. I run at 1.026 Mixed reef...slow growth TONS of coralline

sorry if I’m asking stupid question but I don’t know you so not trying to treat you are daft…you do know how to fill the syringe and read it? And where to read from? Also Some test kits you subtract what is left in the syringe from the starting amount to get the result, with salifert you don’t do that, you know to read the lvl at the 1ml marker from the top of the air bubble not the bottom?

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would have thought that knowing it is off the chart is accurate enough, as once you're that high I wouldn't have thought that more accurate number would make that much difference.
right. Until I say "my mag is high, and I need help" then we all, me included...would be interested to know how high? right? so that's what I was looking for. thats all.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time reading that kit too. Idk. if my LFS used anything other than API, I'd ask for their help. I will search out more internet videos I guess. there's got to be someone other than myself, that doesnt understand how to read this. I cannot fix things, if I cannot read the tests.
I just watched a YouTube video on using it and it seems very similar to the red sea. Is your issue that it never changes to a blue color or is it just figuring out the value because of it taking more than 1 syringe? I'm a little confused on how much it took because in your original post you said 1 syringe and 1.5ml from a second. Isn't the syringe only 1ml?

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry if I’m asking stupid question but I don’t know you so not trying to treat you are daft…you do know how to fill the syringe and read it? And where to read from? Also Some test kits you subtract what is left in the syringe from the starting amount to get the result, with salifert you don’t do that, you know to read the lvl at the 1ml marker from the top of the air bubble not the bottom?
to be honest, at this point, I'm not even sure. I use 1 full syringe...then 0.2 of the next one. so I go by that. meaning 1.02 is this wrong? maybe I AM reading it wrong. that's why I am confused.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right. Until I say "my mag is high, and I need help" then we all, me included...would be interested to know how high? right? so that's what I was looking for. thats all.

I think you are missing a critical piece of info:

When using two syringes, just add the corresponding magnesium values together to get the actual magnesium value for levels over 1 syringe. :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back