OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched a YouTube video on using it and it seems very similar to the red sea. Is your issue that it never changes to a blue color or is it just figuring out the value because of it taking more than 1 syringe? I'm a little confused on how much it took because in your original post you said 1 syringe and 1.5ml from a second. Isn't the syringe only 1ml?
yes. it's only 1 ml. but it doesnt change to blue, unless I use more. 0.2 or so, of a second syringe. if I am doing it wrong, I'd greatly appreciate help. I'll look at a few more youtube videos. I am just not wanting to create more issues.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are missing a critical piece of info:

When using two syringes, just add the corresponding magnesium values together to get the actual magnesium value for levels over 1 syringe. :)
that's what I thought I was doing ...maybe I am doing THAT part wrong.

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest, at this point, I'm not even sure. I use 1 full syringe...then 0.2 of the next one. so I go by that. meaning 1.02 is this wrong? maybe I AM reading it wrong. that's why I am confused.
I would have thought that it was more likely that you're filling the syringe wrong - with a bigger air bubble, and less liquid than you are supposed to have.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I thought I was doing ...maybe I am doing THAT part wrong.

1 mL plus 0.15 mL puts the magnesium value at 1500 +230 = 1730 ppm. (assuming the kit chart looks like the image I googled)

High, but not unknown. :)

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought that it was more likely that you're filling the syringe wrong - with a bigger air bubble, and less liquid than you are supposed to have.
I even tried it taking off the tip, making sure there were no air bubbles, and going that route. It didnt change. this makes me want to cry, that I cannot figure this out.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having to use more than a full syringe than your reading is higher than the scale's max. I wouldn't even care terribly much how much higher, as the more important element is determining why. I think you are probably correct in wanting to sanity check the test kit, but I wouldn't worry about the mechanics of coming up with a "correct" number on the Salifert until you have determined that it is reading the right order of magnitude.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 mL plus 0.15 mL puts the magnesium value at 1500 +230 = 1730 ppm. (assuming the kit chart looks like the image I googled)

High, but not unknown. :)
but why would it be that high, if I am not adding anything? Like, I dont understand how that would be possible. I checked my salinity, and it's reading right, It's been recalibrated...tried again. same 1.026

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. it's only 1 ml. but it doesnt change to blue, unless I use more. 0.2 or so, of a second syringe. if I am doing it wrong, I'd greatly appreciate help. I'll look at a few more youtube videos. I am just not wanting to create more issues.
If you use 1ml from one syringe and .2 ml from a second syringe then the magnesium would be 1800.
If I were you I'd mix up a small batch of new saltwater and test it to check your testing procedure. It should be somewhere close to 1400 give or take.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use 1ml from one syringe and .2 ml from a second syringe then the magnesium would be 1800.
If I were you I'd mix up a small batch of new saltwater and test it to check your testing procedure. It should be somewhere close to 1400 give or take.
Ok. Thank You. I will try this as soon as I get my bucket of water mixed. I really appreciate that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but why would it be that high, if I am not adding anything? Like, I dont understand how that would be possible. I checked my salinity, and it's reading right, It's been recalibrated...tried again. same 1.026

High salinity (you checked it against what?), bad batch of salt, overdose, and bad test result.

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I even tried it taking off the tip, making sure there were no air bubbles, and going that route. It didnt change. this makes me want to cry, that I cannot figure this out.
There is supposed to be an air bubble. If you put the syringe in the liquid, then pull it up, push it down, then pull it up again. The air bubble should be the right size.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High salinity (you checked it against what?), bad batch of salt, overdose, and bad test result.
Well, I always check my tank (Not even sure why I started that, but it's habit) before I mix up my salt. I top off with RODI only, and bad batch? I have no idea. I get 200 gallons of mix at a time, so individual bags...and as seen on here, I make sure to mix up the bag before I open it. Idk. as soon as I have a full bucket, I will mix it up and test it, and let you know where it's at. so frustrating.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets start with the basics of the syringe, just so we know your using it right.

When you fill the syringe, do you put the liquid at the 1ml mark, or the bottom of the plunger on the 1ml mark?
If I am using the added tip, which it's a full bottle, so I am not...I fill the liquid to the bottom of the plunger, at the 1ml mark.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest, at this point, I'm not even sure. I use 1 full syringe...then 0.2 of the next one. so I go by that. meaning 1.02 is this wrong? maybe I AM reading it wrong. that's why I am confused.
The first picture is where the syringe should be filled to, notice the air bubble, you read the lvl from the black seal on the syringe not at the air bubble, the 2nd is showing how to read the syringe, the 2nd picture shows a lvl of 0.18 which reading from the chart gives a result of 1230 mag.

it takes a lot of mag to raise it, if you are filling twice that means your mag is over 1500, which if not dosing means it’s either a salinity issue, a testing error or your salt is a duff bucket and the mag is too high in it, which is why I suggested testing the fresh mix…don’t worry too much 1520 is high but not dangerous.
6B482AA8-9B3B-46CE-A123-F7EF2BA1AAD7.jpeg
9D627501-19EA-42C5-A569-630D02074C75.jpeg

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am using the added tip, which it's a full bottle, so I am not...I fill the liquid to the bottom of the plunger, at the 1ml mark.
Always use the tip, and only fill so the plunger, not the liquid is at the 1ml mark. Then when you read the result, it's where the plunger ends, not the liquid. An air bubble is supposed to be there as thats the extra space added by the tip.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first picture is where the syringe should be filled to, notice the air bubble, you read the lvl from the black seal on the syringe not at the air bubble, the 2nd is showing how to read the syringe, the 2nd picture shows a lvl of 0.18which reading from the chart gives a result of 1230 mag.

it takes a lot of mag to raise it, if you are filling twice that means your mag is over 1500, which if not dosing means it’s either a salinity issue, a testing error or your salt is a duff bucket and the mag is too high in it, which is why as suggested testing the fresh mix…don’t worry too much 1520 is high but not dangerous.
I am going to check my salinity now again...just to be sure, and then as soon as my buckets ready, mix that and check that. but I still cannot understand, other than maybe I'm doing it really wrong.. why it would be that high. I'll do these things, then check back. I just really wish Hanna did a tester for this. I dont read colors right, and then now I may not be doing this right??

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always use the tip, and only fill so the plunger, not the liquid is at the 1ml mark. Then when you read the result, it's where the plunger ends, not the liquid. An air bubble is supposed to be there as thats the extra space added by the tip.
Yeah....I'll try it again before I check the newly mixed. but IO has to mix quite a while. so I'll assume, that I have to thoroughly mix then test.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to check my salinity now again...just to be sure, and then as soon as my buckets ready, mix that and check that. but I still cannot understand, other than maybe I'm doing it really wrong.. why it would be that high. I'll do these things, then check back. I just really wish Hanna did a tester for this. I dont read colors right, and then now I may not be doing this right??

chances are you are just being too heavy handed with the syringe, as soon as you see the colour change, shop there and read, you don’t need to keep going to get a stronger colour match, the first change in colour then stop. it can take a few tries also reading it in the same light each time really helps.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thoroughly mix before testing. Rc is known to have high mag, so it wouldn't really surprise me if your not in the 1500.

It's usually not an issue till it gets seriously high, then just inverts have problems.

Back