Salifert vs...?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thoroughly mix before testing. Rc is known to have high mag, so it wouldn't really surprise me if your not in the 1500.

It's usually not an issue till it gets seriously high, then just inverts have problems.
According to the parameter list for new salt water that I see referenced frequently Reef Crystals will mix up to 1440 ppm for magnesium.

I may test my new saltwater this evening and see if I get around that value, since I also use reef crystals.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes thoroughly mix before testing. Rc is known to have high mag, so it wouldn't really surprise me if your not in the 1500.

It's usually not an issue till it gets seriously high, then just inverts have problems.
which totally makes sense as to why they all die.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know RC has higher parameters then regular IO. I've used regular IO for years and it pretty much mixes up to around 1500. So it would not surprise me if RC mixed up higher. Not sure if it does(never used it), just wouldn't surprise me.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know RC has higher parameters the regular IO. I've used regular IO for years and it pretty much mixes up to around 1500. So would not surprise me if it mixed up higher. Not sure if it does(never used it), just wouldn't surprise me.
I've tested my new water before and if I remember correctly it matched the chart within reason. It was a long time ago so my memory may be wrong. I'll test mine this evening and post the results.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know RC has higher parameters the regular IO. I've used regular IO for years and it pretty much mixes up to around 1500. So would not surprise me if it mixed up higher. Not sure if it does(never used it), just wouldn't surprise me.
ok then help me understand this. I have a mixed tank. the only casualties, are snails. calcium 445, alk came in (didn't write it down, and should have) I believe was 5.5 so I added some baking soda...mixed of course. got it up a bit..so I'll keep doing that. it's using a ton of alk. Now my mag is high... I have TONS of coralline algae, and it's almost a daily thing to keep scraping it. not fond of it, but it is what it is. corals are all fine, but slow growth, small PE..and that's not right, but they are growing. how the heck, am I this far off balance?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the parameter list for new salt water that I see referenced frequently Reef Crystals will mix up to 1440 ppm for magnesium.

I may test my new saltwater this evening and see if I get around that value, since I also use reef crystals.

wow that’s high, add in the high alk too, I would think about changing salts.

Saltyfins you might be doing everything fine, if the salt starts out at 1440, they only need to be a little off in a batch and that’ll take,you over 1500, add in the salinity may be slightly off too then your mag is on the high side, no margin for error with mag starting at 1440 IMO.

Hard to find the parameters on the salt, liveaquaria states mag is 1250-1350?
And alk is 8-12 which is a very wide range.

if op is getting alk at only 5.5 then something is either wrong with the testing method or the salt can not be trusted to give the stated parameters and I would be changing salts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow that’s high, add in the high alk too, I would think about changing salts.

Saltyfins you might be doing everything fine, if the salt starts out at 1440, they should need to be a little off in a batch and that’ll take,you over 1500, add in the salinity may be slightly off too then your mag is on the high side, no margin for error with mag starting at 1440 IMO.
well I was thinking about starting AFR to get things balanced out, especially with alk and keeping calcium within reason, but now I'm not so sure that's a smart move. I am changing to Red Sea pro. that's probably now not a good idea either... big breath. I'll get this figured out with all you guys help! I really do appreciate the answers and thoughts!

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to trash those that use RC, because it can certainly work. Heck I and many others make regular IO work, but there is a reason RC has the moniker of death crystals.
seriously? I have never heard that. corals look ok....just not a lot of growth on the acros

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's because of the super high parameters. It's fine if your using WC's as a way to replenish the big 3(the basic idea behind all the salts with elevated parameters), but if your not using enough, they can pile up without realizing it causing mass die off.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's because of the super high parameters. It's fine if your using WC's as a way to replenish the big 3(the basic idea behind all the salts with elevated parameters), but if your not using enough, they can pile up without realizing it causing mass die off.
yeah...dont need that. do you have a suggestion to how to lower it? or just do a big water change with the new salt? that seems dangerous too. maybe bring down the salinity? idk what to do

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to trash those that use RC, because it can certainly work. Heck I and many others make regular IO work, but there is a reason RC has the moniker of death crystals.
Ouch, that hurts a little.

This (plus the fact that I'm cheap) is exactly why I use Reef Cryatals. On a positive note I rarely have to add magnesium to my tank because of my AWC. It works out fine for me I just can't do a large water change because it would swing my parameters up too high.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah...dont need that. do you have a suggestion to how to lower it? or just do a big water change with the new salt? that seems dangerous too. maybe bring down the salinity? idk what to do
are you saying maybe stop doing the water changes?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you saying maybe stop doing the water changes?
If the new water is around the same value as your tank then water changes won't help. I'd still recommend waiting to check the new batch of water before doing anything else. Also, what do you check your salinity with and what do you calibrate or check it against to make sure its correct?

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the new water is around the same value as your tank then water changes won't help. I'd still recommend waiting to check the new batch of water before doing anything else. Also, what do you check your salinity with and what do you calibrate or check it against to make sure its correct?
it's an ATC refractometer from amazon, accubrate calibration liquid. I have my husband do it, as he uses them in his profession in the military

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just to show, the tank and the growth. yes, I am fighting apstasia also. I cannot do anything about lighting, as it's all set up on it's own thing, and I dont dare touch it.

image4 (3).jpeg image5 (1).jpeg image3 (6).jpeg image2 (11).jpeg image1 (11).jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's an ATC refractometer from amazon, accubrate calibration liquid. I have my husband do it, as he uses them in his profession in the military
I don't know anything about that calibration solution, but in the past I've had some of them be off also. Now for a refractometer I just make my own calibration/reference solution. I use a recipe that Randy posted, its incredibly easy and cheap to make with some table salt if you have a set of scales.

I'm so paranoid about my salinity being wrong that I've accumulated 4 different testers for salinity if you include my apex probe. Ironically a floating glass hydrometer isn't one, which is usually considered the most trustworthy.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I was thinking about starting AFR to get things balanced out, especially with alk and keeping calcium within reason, but now I'm not so sure that's a smart move. I am changing to Red Sea pro. that's probably now not a good idea either... big breath. I'll get this figured out with all you guys help! I really do appreciate the answers and thoughts!

AFR is excellent but not for balancing out the lvls, it’s only designed to replace the alk, calcium, mag and trace elements your tank uses, you are meant to only start using AFR when your parameters are all inline, then it just adds them back in the correct amounts.

Red Sea blue bucket would be the better option, Red Sea Pro has high lvls. They list mag at 1390 but only at 33ppt, if you were to have your salinity in the area most do, 35, the mag would be even higher than 1390, most people go for the blue bucket I believe.

Red Sea is a good salt but I found it left a brown coating in the mixing bucket, which is meant to be harmless but I didn’t like it, I moved to Tropic Marin pro, good lvls but the alk is only 7 but that suits me.

Once up and running with good lvls, I would recommend AFR.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about that calibration solution, but in the past I've had some of them be off also. Now for a refractometer I just make my own calibration/reference solution. I use a recipe that Randy posted, its incredibly easy and cheap to make with some table salt if you have a set of scales.

I'm so paranoid about my salinity being wrong that I've accumulated 4 different testers for salinity if you include my apex probe. Ironically a floating glass hydrometer isn't one, which is usually considered the most trustworthy.
SO...I just pulled out my old refractometer....it's reading 1.035! with that being said...I'm going to get that right, and then try that test again. I'm thinking it may still be high mag., but I'm shocked that it's that high! so now I have to figure out why it's not reading right... and I dont have scales.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AFR is excellent but not for balancing out the lvls, it’s only designed to replace the alk, calcium, mag and trace elements your tank uses, you are meant to only start using AFR when your parameters are all inline, then it just adds them back in the correct amounts.

Red Sea blue bucket would be the better option, Red Sea Pro has high lvls. They list mag at 1390 but only at 33ppt, if you were to have your salinity in the area most do, 35, the mag would be even higher than 1390, most people go for the blue bucket I believe.

Red Sea is a good salt but I found it left a brown coating in the mixing bucket, which is meant to be harmless, I moved to Tropic Marin pro, good lvls but the alk is only 7 but that sits me.

Once up and running with good lvls, I would recommend AFR.
yes, that's the plan, which is why I started checking the level of mag., with the original question of how to figure it out. I knew alk was getting too low, and have been using baking soda. the blue bucket wasnt available. I will lower my salinity, and see if that helps. again, THANK You sooo much!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back