Salinity Checking… What To Trust

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What to trust…

I bought a Hanna salinity checker in March. The Hanna works well, it tracks my old school refractometer nearly perfectly; as long it’s it’s calibrated.

After the first few weeks of use it hold calibration well, usually a month or so. My experience is that in the first 2-3 weeks it has to be calibrated often, after a while it’s good to go. The other “issue” I’ve had is that the checker just doesn’t last long, I don’t know if it the carbon fiber probes, bad luck, or what the problem may be. I’ve replaced the checker under warranty twice in 6 months. The last time I had it replaced was a couple weeks ago.

During the weeks long sales last week I ordered a Milwaukee digital refractometer. It came in today.

I calibrated it and checked the water in my display. 1.031 was the reading.
That surprised me so I recalibrated, this time waitin a full minute to let the Distilled water temp equalize, I did the did the same the calibration check fluid. Checked the tank, again waitin a full minute … 1.029

I checked against my Apex salinity probe, which I never use for anything other than maybe a general trend monitor. The Apex reads 34.6 so “about” 1.026 (I keep my system at 1.026)

I break out the Hanna… 1.025.

I calibrate and use my refractometer … 1.026

I recalibrate and check with the Milwaukee … 1.030

I used the exact same procedure for everything; waithing one full minute before checking the result.

So…

Apex 34.5 (generally unreliable)
Hanna checker 1.025
Refractometer 1.026
Milwaukee 1.030 (1.029 was closest but still out of spec assuming any of the others is accurate)

I’m kinda disappointed actually. The Hanna seem accurate but it life span seems to short and I don’t know how many times Hanna will warranty their product before they just tell me no. Even though they know the issue exists because before I finished describing the problem the tech support guy was telling me how to attempt to “fix” it. It’s obviously a know issue.

The Milwaukee seems to be out of range. I seriously thinking about returning it now.

The old refractometer gives me what looks to be accurate results as long as I calibrate before each use.

So, what would you do?

What’s your experience with the Milwaukee?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've seen enough accounts of the Milwaukee running consistently high that I decided not to purchase one. It seems while it may lack accuracy, it does maintain precision though so it can still be used.

According to several reviews on BRS, the Hanna salinity checker works well for about 5 months then craps out.

Can't go wrong with a calibrated refractometer.

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've seen enough accounts of the Milwaukee running consistently high that I decided not to purchase one. It seems while it may lack accuracy, it does maintain precision though so it can still be used.

According to several reviews on BRS, the Hanna salinity checker works well for about 5 months then craps out.

Can't go wrong with a calibrated refractometer.
That has been exactly my experience with the Hanna Salinity checker. Hanna has been great about replacing them under warranty, but, it's just a pain to have to do that all the time.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ditto. I LOVED my hannah.. for like 8 months. Then in the garbage. I use the milwaukie desktop refractometer. rock soild, easy, quick.

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back