Refractometer vs Hannah Salinity Checker

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Well the tank is cycled and we have our first victims in the tank, they survived the night so I guess that is a start ><. Had a question on salinity, I have been using the hannah checker, I have been testing throughout the week and its always been 1.025-1.026. I took some water with me to have it tested at my LFS just for peace of mind that my test readings were accurate, they used a refractometer and got a 1.029 reading on my water. Anyone have any experience with this big of a difference in check systems? Could it be that the water was such a small quantity or had been sitting in my truck for a few hours before making it to the LFS to test?

I took their reading and did a water change with replacing the water with a portion of RO to bring it down.

Any input is always appreciated!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a TM floating hydrometer. I have used it for years and its always accurate.
I now have a Hanna monitor.
Ph, sg, and temp. It's quite accurate and reads the same as the TM, aqualogic temp controller, and my hand held ph meter.
20240314_142400.jpg

inahrtbeat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both..also if you calibrate the hanna at 77 deg tank temp then that's the temp you need for a good read.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my refractometer frequently to confirm my Hanna is remaining in balance. I calibrate my refractometer every use and my hanna checker maybe once every 2 months.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1000% faith in my Hanna. I have 3 tanks, 2 are at 1.025 and the other at 1.024, and it always reads correctly. When I get fish or corals I always ask the salinity level and my Hanna always reads perfectly. I only calibrate it every 6 months or so.

I’m so surprised that it has such a bad rep on this forum.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1000% faith in my Hanna. I have 3 tanks, 2 are at 1.025 and the other at 1.024, and it always reads correctly. When I get fish or corals I always ask the salinity level and my Hanna always reads perfectly. I only calibrate it every 6 months or so.

I’m so surprised that it has such a bad rep on this forum.
do you take it for what it reads or adjust for the known variance?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you take it for what it reads or adjust for the known variance?
Whatever it says that’s what it is. Like I said I ask the LFS the salinity and it tests the same with my Hanna. So my Hanna is 100% accurate as far as I’m concerned.

FernBluffReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna salinity checker consistently reads about 1pt low on tank water as compared to both a hydrometer and refractometer. I complained to Hanna their reply is that is within spec.

With freshly mixed water the delta is even more 2-3 points. So I see the Hanna salinity checker as a guideline for a quick check but if I want to know for sure I rely on the hydrometer as I hate the refractometer and both the hydrometer and refractometer read the same should the refractometer be constantly calibrated

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Well the tank is cycled and we have our first victims in the tank, they survived the night so I guess that is a start ><. Had a question on salinity, I have been using the hannah checker, I have been testing throughout the week and its always been 1.025-1.026. I took some water with me to have it tested at my LFS just for peace of mind that my test readings were accurate, they used a refractometer and got a 1.029 reading on my water. Anyone have any experience with this big of a difference in check systems? Could it be that the water was such a small quantity or had been sitting in my truck for a few hours before making it to the LFS to test?

I took their reading and did a water change with replacing the water with a portion of RO to bring it down.

Any input is always appreciated!

You can make standards to check both devices if you have a scale. You can, of course, also buy them.

Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

OP
OP
F

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 words.
Tropic Marin hydrometer.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
I picked one up, it aligned with what my hannah was reading. Took some water to a different LFS they said my equipment was right on the money...
so now that I have been running my system light on the salinity side should I just bring it up slowly with water changes?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back