Salinity testing do I Trust Hannah or Tropic Marine High Precision Hydrometer?

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I have been using the Hannah handheld tester for salinity and recalibrate it every month with the Hannah calibration solution. My tank reads 1.026 with the Hannah. I just recently purchased the High precision hydrometer from BRS which is saying my tank is at 1.0275

I recalibrate the Hannah in the solution reading 1.026 then right away into my aquarium and it reads 1.026

Should I just stick with the hydrometer and stop using the Hannah reader?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and used Randy’s solution for salt measurement and with high precision hydrometer it’s exactly on. My hanah pen is always .02 low. So I use the pen for quick checks and precision for water changes. I trust the hydrometer more but pen gets me close enough and doesn’t swing. Just assume it’s always low.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use both, good to double check each other. The hydrometer is good at 77 degrees, you will need to look at a chart outside that range but it’s not a huge difference.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I have been using the Hannah handheld tester for salinity and recalibrate it every month with the Hannah calibration solution. My tank reads 1.026 with the Hannah. I just recently purchased the High precision hydrometer from BRS which is saying my tank is at 1.0275

I recalibrate the Hannah in the solution reading 1.026 then right away into my aquarium and it reads 1.026

Should I just stick with the hydrometer and stop using the Hannah reader?

I expect that difference is within the expected error of these two devices, so I would not agonize too much over which, if either, is more accurate.

Given the uncertainty, I might target the average of the two to ~1.0265.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back