Salinity jumped from 35 to 40 during one hour

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ani_28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
There aren't very many ways for salinity to increase. Basically, either evaporation, unintended dosing, topping off with saltwater, or measurement error.

Given that one of your fish died, it's possible that there really was a rapid increase in salinity.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but the sequence of events isn't completely clear, so I'm going to rephrase it in my own words and please let me know if I have it right.

On Saturday, you cleaned the sand. Why did you clean the sand, and how did you do it?

After cleaning the sand, you performed a 50% water change.

At 6 PM, you checked the salinity and it measured as 35 (I assume you're using Parts Per Thousand and not Relative Specific Gravity).

After the water change, you noticed that one of your fish was distressed, and you did a 10% water change.

When you checked in the morning, one of your fish (the same one that was distressed?) was dead, and salinity measured 40 at that point.

Here I'm not entirely clear. You say you added 10% new water plus mixed in some osmosis water. Did you add extra salt water, or did you change 10% of the water and then mix in some osmosis to your tank to correct the salinity to 35?

After an hour, your salinity was once again at 40. In this same time frame, your pH dropped from 8.0 to 7.5.

How quickly did you mix up the saltwater? What's your procedure for making sure it's correct?

I think @Seven Year Nap might be on to something. Assuming everything you've said is accurate and you didn't have a measurement error, the only way for salinity to increase would be for something to dissolve in your water. Could be undissolved salt, could be precipitate in the tank dissolving in the lower pH.
Yesterday pH was 8.0 with salinity 35 and temperature 77
In the morning temperature 77, pH 7.6 and salinity 40
Yesterday in 6 pm I add osmosis water for usual level because of evaporation. At 9 pm I added 10% the same water what I mixed on Saturday.
I understand it was my fault I didn’t checked salinity at that moment.
 
I believe a lower temp results in a higher SG number, so as it warms it would reduce in SG.
I was wrong. But not in the way you pointed out. Temp changes density but not SG, SG actually remains the same. Interesting. I learned something new for reefing and it’s only 11:30 am. :)
 
Right now fish is ok. But in the morning it was white.
 
Have you checked your RO/DI water? Perhaps you inadvertently used saltwater for top-off, thus raising salinity?
Right now shows 3, when it bought showed 0
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new