Salinity spiking possibly from 2 part.

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing my water with two part as it was low in alk I first tried reef crystals for water changes thinking the higher levels would help but it did not. I’m now using b ionic in the apex dos and the levels are now in normal range however I’m having a hard time keeping my salinity under 36 ppt, my ato in my reefer 250 was usually enough but now doesn’t seem to be cutting it. I’ve been dumping ro water about .5 to .75 of a gallon into my sump in the morning on top of the gallon my ato adds through out the day and my salinity will drop around 35.5 ppt and climb to about 36.5 ppt by the end of the day. I don’t like my tank getting so close to 1.028 as I know that’s high. So that’s my main concern. I would rather be in the 1.025 to 1.026 area but just can’t seem to bring it down. Any tips or help for why it’s climbing so quickly would be great. Before dosing it would take my tank a week to climb 1ppt so something must of got out of wack. Just trying to safely fix it!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two part systems slowly raise salinity (they do not spike it).

If it is rising, just take out some salt water each day and replace with fresh water. Replacing about 3-4% will drop 1.027 to 1.026

OP
OP
Jhoussock

Jhoussock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the biggest drop I want to do to make this happen safely can I do the 3-4 percent at once?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back