Salinity

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the PinPoint salinity calibration fluid useable to calibrate conductivity-based salinity testers? (Newbie but online I only saw it noted for refractometers so just curious)

*aside -- I've had good results with my Hanna digital since I started calibrating with their 35 ppt fluid warmed to tank temperature. (I was getting LOW readings when I calibrated to the fluid COLD ... but could've been bad calibration fluid packs too, I guess)

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just here for the comments. I’m also frustrated with my salinity checkers and want to hear what others suggest.
Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the PinPoint salinity calibration fluid useable to calibrate conductivity-based salinity testers? (Newbie but online I only saw it noted for refractometers so just curious)

Yes, that is what it is made for.

It coincidentally can be used for refractometers too.

BlueDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm newer in the hobby. I was wondering if the Hanna Salinity checkers read different from refractometers due to the fact that they use the electrical conductivity of the water to calculate a result as opposed to the optical method the refractometers use.

I've also seen some negative reviews on shopping sites saying they have received what appears to be used Hanna Salinity checkers sold as new. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm pretty distrustful of ratings and reviews in this day and age.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm newer in the hobby. I was wondering if the Hanna Salinity checkers read different from refractometers due to the fact that they use the electrical conductivity of the water to calculate a result as opposed to the optical method the refractometers use.

I've also seen some negative reviews on shopping sites saying they have received what appears to be used Hanna Salinity checkers sold as new. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm pretty distrustful of ratings and reviews in this day and age.

Electrical conductivity is my preferred method. There are many brands and Hanna gets mixed reviews for theirs.

But done properly, all methods can give adequate results. It's the implementation that sometimes is imperfect.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to buy a floating hydrometer. They are factory calibrated and non adjustable, so they never go out of calibration. My preference is for the Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer. Very accurate, as long as you read it correctly and at the correct temperature (25C/77F). They are a bit of work to use, but can be handy for resolving any contradictory readings from the easier to use methods.

I mostly use on Thermo Scientifc EC meters, but always have my hydrometer handy if I need to validate an unexpected reading.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back