Salinity

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is at 31 ppm right now. I’ve been trying to get it to 35. The salinity was at 33 Sunday. And I did a water change Sunday with buckets at 34.
I’m very confused how on it dropping.
I use a refractometer And i calibrate it.
Plz help.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? I'd stop doing water changes until you get the salinity where you want it, and then monitor for a few days to see if it's stable.

You can always overfill your tank with a bit more saltwater; evaporation will slightly increase your salinity.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? I'd stop doing water changes until you get the salinity where you want it, and then monitor for a few days to see if it's stable.

You can always overfill your tank with a bit more saltwater; evaporation will slightly increase your salinity.
I’ve been trying to get it where I need to be and every time it goes up it goes back down. It like the salt in the tank is disappearing. ‍♂️

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to get it where I need to be and every time it goes up it goes back down. It like the salt in the tank is disappearing. ‍♂️

it is not disappearing, unless salt water is leaking out and you are replacing it with fresh water.

Don’t try to fix low salinity by water change. Replace evaporated water with new salt water until the salinity hits your target.

OP
OP
F

fancy_fish101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is not disappearing, unless salt water is leaking out and you are replacing it with fresh water.

Don’t try to fix low salinity by water change. Replace evaporated water with new salt water until the salinity hits your target.
I think it’s my ATO splashing whenever it comes on. Cuz the stand next to it and filled with salt creep. So I think that’s causing the issue

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s my ATO splashing whenever it comes on. Cuz the stand next to it and filled with salt creep. So I think that’s causing the issue

That might be the issue, if there is enough salt there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back