Salinty decrease

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming no water changes, zero dosing, 0 TDS RODI water as top-off, and stony corals in the tank is it safe to assume salinty will decrease very slowly as the corals and other organisms grow?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming no water changes, zero dosing, 0 TDS RODI water as top-off, and stony corals in the tank is it safe to assume salinty will decrease very slowly as the corals and other organisms grow?
Why would it?

OP
OP
LegendaryCG

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would it?
My assumption (which very well could be wrong, which is why I'm asking someone like Randy) is that hobbiest level equipment includes trace amounts of other elements in what is summarized as "salinity". Therefore as consumption occurs salinty decreases. In other words, what we call salinty is more or less a composite measurement.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no water changes or dosing some of the the traces and other elements would get used up. Calcium would get somewhat used. Then no more is available or some crucial element is depleted so the consumption stalls. The total depleted, might amount to 0.001 specific gravity, as these are measured in ppm. Most of salinity is sodium and chloride which are not consumed in substantial amounts.
I'd guess salinity would drop from 1.026 to 1.025 or so and stay there.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, that is not a correct assumption.

Foods are adding lots of ions to the water, and growing organisms are using them.

While it would be possible to add more ions via food than corals are using, its not really possible to add fewer and have things keep growing long term because the growth will become limited by whatever has become depleted.

Within hobbyists measurement capability, salinity will be stable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no water changes or dosing some of the the traces and other elements would get used up. Calcium would get somewhat used. Then no more is available or some crucial element is depleted so the consumption stalls. The total depleted, might amount to 0.001 specific gravity, as these are measured in ppm. Most of salinity is sodium and chloride which are not consumed in substantial amounts.
I'd guess salinity would drop from 1.026 to 1.025 or so and stay there.

I think it's about 20-fold lower than that estimate of a drop in sg of 0.001.

Assuming we start at 8 dKH for alk and allow calcium carbonate to form until we hit 5 dKH (them stops due to low alk), how much did we reduce salinity?

That 3 dKH also consumes 21.4 ppm of calcium. The carbonate associated with it weighs 32.1 ppm. Total loss is 54 ppm, or 0.054 ppt.

How much is that in specific gravity?

35 ppt is about sg = 1.026400
35 ppt - .054 ppt = 34.946 ppt
34.946 ppt is about sg = 1.026359
For a drop of aboit sg = 0.00004

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back