Nitrate will not go down

robinmprn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon mixed reef with 2 clowns, 6 line , small bristle tooth tang , lawn mower blenny and a tailspot blenny.
Chemistry
Nitrate 44
Phos 0.03
Alk 8.3
Ph 8.4
Cal 438
Mag 1350

It seems like no matter what I do still have high nitrates. Been going on for several months. Water changes, carbon dosing, adding beneficial bacteria, skimming, less feeding. They decrease and then go right back up. Any suggestions how to fix this. Before I had zero phos I finally have dosed enough to have a reading. By the way everything done with Hanna checkers

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of filtration are you using other than the skimmer? Do you use something like GFO that could be stripping the phosphates? If phosphates bottom out, it will keep nitrates high. I might consider taking a break from the skimmer, doing a good water change, and see what happens after that. How long has the tank been running?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point do you think it becomes dangerous. I have fluctuated from 20-50s
A lot higher than that.

Other than the number being higher than whats acceptable by the masses. Is there a reasone for your concern? Are you having algae issues?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some green hair algae
Do you have coral? If so, let their health/appearance be your guide re: nitrates. As others have said, 40 isn't particularly high, and overall, if your level is consistently 25-50, that stability is more important than an exact number.

OP
OP
R

robinmprn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have coral? If so, let their health/appearance be your guide re: nitrates. As others have said, 40 isn't particularly high, and overall, if your level is consistently 25-50, that stability is more important than an exact number.
I have some softies and also so LPs a couple of sps most are looking decent. Except the acros and I am sure that is something else possibly

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some softies and also so LPs a couple of sps most are looking decent. Except the acros and I am sure that is something else possibly
Some SPS do prefer cleaner water, but that is the difficulty trying to have a mixed reef - softies, lps, and SPS can have very different requirements (and obviously, within each category, different corals can need different parameters).

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur with the above posters, I think your levels aren't a major concern. To me, it's easier to just embrace where the tank likes to be. I run 30-40nitrate usually and have an SPS dominant reef. No issues with Colour or Growth that I can tell.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some green hair algae
Your tank can't consume nitrates if phosphate is bottomed out. .03 phosphate could actually be 0 with test kit error ratio. Assuming you have decent amount of corals in the tank. If it's a fowler then don't worry about it.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Marine pure ceramics, carbon, uv , refugium with Cheato and filter floss
The Cheato is not working. How much do you harvest every week?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Marine pure ceramics, carbon, uv , refugium with Cheato and filter floss
So the only items you are missing from your collection are fleece roller and pellet reactor.

I am not sure if UV does anything for NO3. Maybe take it off line for a bit to allow bacteria to reproduce. Carbon dosing promotes bacteria, UV tends to kills bacteria….

Anyway before you invest in more toys you might want to check your NO2 (nitrite) value. I had similar situation elevated NO3 limited PO4 and I used all types of tools. Finally I found out the issue was elevated NO2, and this interferes with NO3 kit reading. You need to adjust your NO3 value based on the NO2.
Once I sorted it all out I found out I had low NO3.
My system still has NO2 and ICP test labs keep finding it:
1709245856516.jpeg

Good luck,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back