Sally lightfoot, and serpent star

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told at a LFS today that Sally lightfoot crabs and Serpent stars are not reef safe. But everywhere online says they are. We had one of each in our 90 gallon mixed reef years ago with no issues. So, what the heck? Did we just get lucky or is this LFS incorrect in their info?

OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are typically harmless and reef safe until they get bigger. Once they are larger they can prey on smaller inverts or fish.
I understand. We kept them very well fed, I'm guessing. Our Serpent was massive when we finally broke the tank down, and it never bothered anyone. Well, except my husband, he seen it come out to eat one time and it creeped him out. He's not a fan of spiders or how they move lol

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keeping them well fed will definitely help prevent them in hunting your other pets in your tank. I'm not a fan of spiders either so I stay clear of arrow carbs haha Those are the most spider like to me ;Woot

OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping them well fed will definitely help prevent them in hunting your other pets in your tank. I'm not a fan of spiders either so I stay clear of arrow carbs haha Those are the most spider like to me ;Woot
They are like everything else then! I believe in fat, happy animals. Ask my chonky (well loved) German Shepherd. Lol

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lol that's how I like to show my tangs I love them. They are thiccck haha ;Playful

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back