Salt choice with Triton water change recommendation. Results attached

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first Triton test back. Elevated Tin & Zinc, see full test results if desired.

https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/44413/

Have been running full Triton since I put this tank up on August 31, prior to that I was using the Red Sea Reef Care Program on my 24g cube, and Nopox dosing. Tank is an RSR 250.

It notes that 'contaminated salts' can be a source of some of the undesired elements. I have used Red Sea Coral Pro salts exclusively in this tank and the one before it (rock, equipment 20g of the water came to the new tank). Should I be changing salt mix brands to do these 6 x 15% recommended water changes?

I've highlighted my actual question above for those who don't want to read all the extra info.

I had a few softies that didn't survive the move (Clove, Zenia and leather). Could have been a lighting issue (I didn't realize if the Hydras get unplugged they reset, and acclimation mode was off for a few days I was at work and didn't notice). All other livestock doing well. I don't have but one or two SPS, but lots of LPS, Zoas doing great and 6 BTAs that are thriving.

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

The only 'used' equipment I had was my Tunze Nano ATO float, which I am not using on this tank (It's on my Pico, I will check it for wear on Monday).

I have checked all equipment, none if it is more than 6 months old and no cords or magnets are worn.

I do use RO/DI water for all changes, and have TDS of zero. RO unit is also less than 6 months old.

*Of note, I was already aware of the low Ca and Mg and have been doing some replacement.

I live in Renton, WA. Our water quality is good. (See link if interested). I have 30 TDS going into my RO.

http://www.rentonwa.gov/uploadedFil...rts/2016/PW Water Quality Report 2016 WEB.pdf

Thanks for reading all the way to the end of the post. You deserve a dose of kitten!! This is Meep, the newest family member.

IMG_1749.JPG

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert... new at the Triton system myself, but I'll give my $0.02 worth :)

There are several Triton systems (mine included) using Red Sea blue bucket salts... the Coral Pro seems elevated in certain parameters, blue bucket is a bit closer to Triton 'ideal'. My last blue bucket even came with a set of ICP testing results for the specific lot. I know, with the money spent in this hobby, what's a bucket of salt... still, Triton salt, if you can even find it, is just out of line on pricing, AFAIC.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt mixes are not generally the source of highly elevated tin and zinc. Metal parts exposed to the water or to salt spray are a more likely cause, but many people never find the cause.

That said, I'm not certain that your levels are a problem.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back