Salt Creep Solution for sump!

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of needing to address the salt creep issue in my sump, I finally put my design solution into practice!

The inside of the stand is painted with marine grade paint. I know, that seems like it would be good enough! But this stand has special meaning as it was built by me, my husband and my late father-in-law. It's custom and with so much emotion tied to it, we really wanted to preserve it.

The issue was that salt creep would make its way down the back of the sump, and seep under the sump. The only thing separating the salt creep from the wood......a few layers of marine grade paint.

Fast forward to this weekend. I emptied the sump, the underside of the stand and cleaned. Then, I put down a layer of ice guard that we used for construction on our deck. Now, the floor of thank stand is waterproof!

Next I tackled the salt creep itself. Like a good aquarist, I save EVERYTHING. I was looking at the plastic guard that goes on the back of glass lids and a light bulb went off, what if I used that to hold plexiglass, and mounted it with industrial Velcro to the back of the sump? Sort of like a sneeze guard for the salt creep.

Long story short, I built it and installed it today and I am THRILLED!

Just wanted to share for those who might have a similar issue, and are in need of a solution!

Happy Reef keeping!

IMG_20220904_153420_250.jpg 20220905_182100.jpg 20220905_183736.jpg 20220905_191902.jpg

Back