Salt discussion

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am currently using reef crystals as my salt and have been using for about a year. This has great reviews, but I want to hear some opinions on other salts. Is it okay to change salts already in an established tank? What salts do people prefer? I am about to do one more water change and will be out of salt. So will be needing to buy more. Want to get input. I currently have bubble tip anem, duncan corals, and zoa's. I have a tang and some clowns, goby, shrimp, snowflake eel, and a 6 line. What do people suggest for salts and has the best for its buck. I want something that provides the best for my tank! Thank you for the feedback!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used Instant Ocean in my reefs.

Best advice, pick a salt you like and can afford and stick with it.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Brightwell's neomarine. I wait for it to go on sale on amazon. mixes fine.
used to use TMP and that was fine, just a bit expensive.

They'll all work and you'll just have to decide for yourself which you prefer!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Tropic Marin Pro Reef. It mixes well and so far so good. One thing I’d like to highlight is that it mixes to a fairly low Alk (7-ish) for a salinity of 1.025-ish. I think most people have a calcium reactor (?) to manage Alk. I just add some dry soda ash and raise it to my target of 8.5.

If you switch salts just do it with the water changes. Assuming your changes are 10-15% the transition will be pretty smooth.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back