Salt mix and RODI

Cichlid Convert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI. I bought this and did not notice that is specially formulated for tap water. I also bought a RODI that is being delivered at same time as the salt mix. I did not buy any reef additives but do plan on having some soft corals and a anemone after my tank cycles. Should i uses this mix with tap water or RODI water to start my tank or buy a completly different salt mix ? Im going to cycle using colony and it says to add a fish very early in process so i dont want to be making huge tank changes a month later. I plan on adding a clown and watcher goby with a pistol shrimp for occupants. I plan to add soft corals in future after that . My tanks are a standard 30g and 10g.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI. I bought this and did not notice that is specially formulated for tap water. I also bought a RODI that is being delivered at same time as the salt mix. I did not buy any reef additives but do plan on having some soft corals and a anemone after my tank cycles. Should i uses this mix with tap water or RODI water to start my tank or buy a completly different salt mix ? Im going to cycle using colony and it says to add a fish very early in process so i dont want to be making huge tank changes a month later. I plan on adding a clown and watcher goby with a pistol shrimp for occupants. I plan to add soft corals in future after that . My tanks are a standard 30g and 10g.

From the page you linked above...

Screenshot_20230917-135542.png

OP
OP
C

Cichlid Convert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that is from the first page in the photo section. the second page states that it is specifically made for tap water and goes on to say that when used with RODI water additives may be needed, they seemed to be the things needed for a reef tank IE magnesium, calcium etc... that statement is in the upper right corner of the photo in the middle

OP
OP
C

Cichlid Convert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a better question is for people who use this product with a RODI. Does it make you need to add more additives than other products ? Is there a product that is better and a all in one reef tank salt mix ? Maybe i should not worry so much, soft corals are what i plan to keep and those dont require additives do they ?

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a better question is for people who use this product with a RODI. Does it make you need to add more additives than other products ? Is there a product that is better and a all in one reef tank salt mix ? Maybe i should not worry so much, soft corals are what i plan to keep and those dont require additives do they ?
Honestly I've never seen this salt before. There are many salt mixes on the market that will have all the elements you need. I would use this to set up your tank and then switch to another brand (some that come to mind... Instant Ocean, red sea, tropic marin, and many more)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd return the Coralife salt to Amazon and order one of these from Chewy (or elsewhere if you find it cheaper). Better deal as well (yours is 15 gallons for $13 and these are 50 gallons for less than $25).

Screenshot_20230917-145548.png
Screenshot_20230917-145518.png

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this salt for my initial setup and then switched brands. I think you’ll be fine until you have corals growing that will need more calcium and magnesium. I have a 32g, so all it takes is a few 5g water changes before I have all new saltwater, though.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One tap water is not equal to other tap water. Level of TDS depends on area where you live and also some tap water contains high level of phosphates from agricultural run off.
I find it weird to say the least, that somebody manufactures "marine" salt which is recommended to be disolved in tap water.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One tap water is not equal to other tap water. Level of TDS depends on area where you live and also some tap water contains high level of phosphates from agricultural run off.
I find it weird to say the least, that somebody manufactures "marine" salt which is recommended to be disolved in tap water.
Agreed. I mixed this with RO/DI and then promptly switched brands. :grimacing-face:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, the selling point is that it (claims to) remove chlorine from the tap water, eliminating the need for a water conditioner. Some of the parameters listed on the back of the bag are low (Ca 380, Mg 1260) and there is a statement that tap water will "contribute some minerals... increasing levels of kh, calcium, magnesium...". So basically it doesn't mix to "reef standards" and the manufacturers hope that the tap water has the correct levels of various "minerals" to make up the difference.

As you noted, everyone's tap water is different and without using a filter (RO/RODI), there's no telling WHAT the levels of desired chemicals are present, let alone unwanted things like copper.

For the OP, for a brand new tank, the parameters are fine. You'll just need to test your water before adding any stoney coral to make sure it's adequate.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of possibly adding a dechlorinator, it doesn’t even make sense to design a salt mix and to expect tap water to make up some part of the final composition since tap water varies wildly in composition.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back