Salt Mixing

reeferdon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What are the effects on mixing salt using a skimmer pump with the air tube drawing in air?
2. How long should premixed salt water be stored?
3. Should mix only what is needed?

I see lots water mixing stations with premixed salt water for auto water change, but sure about the nutrients in the salt after stored.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note which salt. Salt mixes are different. Some you can store for longer periods, some not. Some mix right away, some are recommended to mix for a couple of hours before use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most new salt water likely doesn't need a lot of aeration. That primary effect is to stabilize pH by equilibrating CO2. That may not even be desirable, depending on the situation.

Salt mixes with organics in them (e.g., Reef Crystals) should probably be used quickly if you think those organics are useful as they will degrade or be consumed by bacteria.

Sal;t mixes with very high alkalinity (Red Sea Coral Pro, reef Crystals, IO, etc.) can precipitate calcium carbonate as they sit. If they do not have organics, I wouldn't heat them since that can accelerate precipitation.

That all said, I stored used IO a month or more after I made it, and stored it unheated and unstirred.

Donsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Aqua forest Reef salt and it says in 5 days. I guess I'll only make as I need it. I was thinking of setting up an AWC system for my tank to change 1/2 gallon per day. my containers hold 10 gallons.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using Aqua forest Reef salt and it says in 5 days. I guess I'll only make as I need it. I was thinking of setting up an AWC system for my tank to change 1/2 gallon per day. my containers hold 10 gallons.

That's what I did, using the IO over a month or more. You might just monitor it for yourself. If the alk is not dropping too much for you needs, it is fine.

FWIW, when salt mixes are used as daily automatic water changes, the change in alk in the salt mix over time (even if it happens) is not nearly the concern that many people seem to think.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back