salt recommendation for non-dosing 10gal

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am basically trying to run a low maintenance 10 gallon tank with only a HOB filter (carbon/phosguard). I am keep LPS/softies only and doing 20% water changes weekly. I'm currently using Instant Ocean Salt. Would the Reef Crystals or some other salt be a better option if i want to be able to keep parameters in check without having to dose? Any reasons to NOT switch salts?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use either. the baddest pico reef around uses instant ocean, occasionally reefcrystals either one. the param differences that mix up between those or other mixes are simply variables these reefs rise to tolerate.

in my pico, I don't bother asking the lfs which mix they're using. they can switch at any time, weekly changes work regardless.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres the bad pico

no dosing for eight years, they feed the pico benepets powdered feed

runs either instant ocean or rc whichever is avail at the time

keeping coral in your ten gallon w be far easier than in that fishbowl.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am basically trying to run a low maintenance 10 gallon tank with only a HOB filter (carbon/phosguard). I am keep LPS/softies only and doing 20% water changes weekly. I'm currently using Instant Ocean Salt. Would the Reef Crystals or some other salt be a better option if i want to be able to keep parameters in check without having to dose? Any reasons to NOT switch salts?

Are you monitoring alkalinity now?

I doubt Reef crystals allows much that normal IO does not in this regard. The alkalinity values are fairly close.

OP
OP
jarviz

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you monitoring alkalinity now?

I doubt Reef crystals allows much that normal IO does not in this regard. The alkalinity values are fairly close.
No i'm not testing anything except nitrates and phosphates. Ok i think i'll keep using the regular IO salt for now. Corals are currently opening and happy.

OP
OP
jarviz

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres the bad pico

no dosing for eight years, they feed the pico benepets powdered feed

runs either instant ocean or rc whichever is avail at the time

keeping coral in your ten gallon w be far easier than in that fishbowl.

I feed my tank with LRS. i break down the frozen pieces to tiny pieces and somewhat target feed the corals; and the fish get all the leftover floating pieces. Is this enough of the benepets have other benefits?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back