Salt / water change

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to change my salt to something that's easier to mix i'm having a problem keeping my salinity at 1.025 it has threw everything off i only have two fish in the tank now. What is max amount of water i can change in the tank with new salt mix?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to change my salt to something that's easier to mix i'm having a problem keeping my salinity at 1.025 it has threw everything off i only have two fish in the tank now. What is max amount of water i can change in the tank with new salt mix?
I switched my salt over about 6 months back and I did a 5 gallon water change twice a week and after about a month of that I went to just my weekly water change schedule. What are you using to measure salinity? Do you use a ato? How long do you mix salt before preforming water change?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you currently using? Are you mixing the salt in heated water? +1 on whether you use an ATO & what are you measuring your salinity with?

I use Red Sea blue bucket. I only add the sale once my water is above 78º. Also, I have two pumps in my Brute can to make sure it mixes properly. Have never had an issue with mixing. That salt is great!

Idaho Lone Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never mentioned what salt mix you are moving from and the one you are going to. IMO, you shouldn't change more than 20% of your water at a time. Then make two to three water changes a week until you get the desired water change in your tank. There are several things to consider beyond just changing our water. If your new salt mix has a different alkalinity and/or calcium level or if the PH differs, a large water change can do more damage than good. That is why you want to do more smaller water changes in order for your aquarium to adjust to the new salt parameters. Here is a good informative video: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/52FAQ-different-salt-mix-with-my-next-water-change/

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank I changed mine it’s 100 gallon tank and just switched with my usual 10 percent weekly water change without problem I went from h2ocean + to tropic Marin pro reef

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What exactly happened?

OP
OP
Ox100

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i currently use ESV i'm wanting to change to red sea pro tank is 106 gallon i'm mixing it in a brute 40 gallon can with heater at 78 degrees with powerhead i check salinity with refact the problem is it mixes well and fast the salinity is at 1.025 i top off tank twice a week check it again and its off i just need a mix that has less steps

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using IO Reef Crystals until i saw the BRS video comparing impurities/sediment in the various brands. IO RC was the worst and I have experienced the "brown crud" they observed in the bottom of my mixing container. I switched to Tropic Marin Classic and will ultimately switch to Tropic Marin Pro Reef (when I add corals). In my 170 gallon system, I change 30 gallons every 2 weeks. Same SG 1.025. You'll note RED Sea didn't fare so well.

OP
OP
Ox100

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using IO Reef Crystals until i saw the BRS video comparing impurities/sediment in the various brands. IO RC was the worst and I have experienced the "brown crud" they observed in the bottom of my mixing container. I switched to Tropic Marin Classic and will ultimately switch to Tropic Marin Pro Reef (when I add corals). In my 170 gallon system, I change 30 gallons every 2 weeks. Same SG 1.025. You'll note RED Sea didn't fare so well.

i did see that video i really don't store salt water i just make it fresh each time

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, switching to a different salt mix is simple. But I'm not sure why you want to do it fast.

What are you trying to fix? If you do not answer my questions, i cannot help.

OP
OP
Ox100

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, switching to a different salt mix is simple. But I'm not sure why you want to do it fast.

What are you trying to fix? If you do not answer my questions, i cannot help.
My over all goal is just to get a salt that mixes easier i really don't need to do it fast second goal is to get stability of my salinity

Back