Salt water to display tank?

fish face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to automate my saltwater changes a little more, not full auto but eliminate buckets. What is the best way to put mixed salt water back into your display? I am pumping from my salt water tank in the basement and bought a big enough pump to handle that. I was thinking 1" pvc for most of the run and then 1" flex (through the floor) to the display. How would I finish that part of it? I was thinking a ball valve and then what? thanks!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work. I would be sure there's an air space between the outlet of the plumbing and the water line in your DT (or sump?) so there's no risk of a siphon starting and draining your DT. (I wouldn't trust float valves.)

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that's cool! I've seen it on youtube a while ago. The guy used a simple ball valve to release the freshly made saltwater from the basement to the DT. He also drained the water from the DT in the same fashion.

OP
OP
fish face

fish face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work. I would be sure there's an air space between the outlet of the plumbing and the water line in your DT (or sump?) so there's no risk of a siphon starting and draining your DT. (I wouldn't trust float valves.)
great point airspace check!

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just ran a poly hose to my sump and ato reservoir then using valves rigged it up so all that is required is to plug in a small maintenance pump and can fill hands free.
Its worked very well to this point but I definitely have to keep focused as the potential to overfill becomes a possibility. would recommend!

OP
OP
fish face

fish face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that's cool! I've seen it on youtube a while ago. The guy used a simple ball valve to release the freshly made saltwater from the basement to the DT. He also drained the water from the DT in the same fashion.
I am just interested in returning the water. When I do water changes I like to vacuum the substrate (mixed puka shells and sand). I was thinking of using the pump to drain as well but I think being able to clean the sand is nice. I only have a 75 g display. When I upgrade to 150 200g I would think about automating the drainage. thanks for your input!

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just interested in returning the water. When I do water changes I like to vacuum the substrate (mixed puka shells and sand). I was thinking of using the pump to drain as well but I think being able to clean the sand is nice. I only have a 75 g display. When I upgrade to 150 200g I would think about automating the drainage. thanks for your input!
Gotcha, i think you know what to do, just use a decent pump in the basement to get the water up, then use a ball valve to release the water, easy!

OP
OP
fish face

fish face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just ran a poly hose to my sump and ato reservoir then using valves rigged it up so all that is required is to plug in a small maintenance pump and can fill hands free.
Its worked very well to this point but I definitely have to keep focused as the potential to overfill becomes a possibility. would recommend!
thanks for the input that sounds similar to what I'm doing. I already have a 1/4 od line for my top off water. so this is only for water changes. I am going to have two ball valves one in the basement and one at the display and a wifi outlet to control the pump. I will be monitoring actively during water changes. There are so many ways to do things thanks again

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input that sounds similar to what I'm doing. I already have a 1/4 od line for my top off water. so this is only for water changes. I am going to have two ball valves one in the basement and one at the display and a wifi outlet to control the pump. I will be monitoring actively during water changes. There are so many ways to do things thanks again
no problem!
It is a very satisfying upgrade to tank maintenance that made me wonder why i didn't do it earlier.
Also, a wifi outlet is a great idea!

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running this system for 15yrs. Its NOT automated but removes buckets. I have to turn valves and start/stop pumps. I keep the Brute mix tank (heated and stirred) constantly full (I make fresh SW after each WC), this gives me water on hand if I need to do an emergency WC. Also I can pump DT water change water ("used") to the QT tank for acclamation the last 2-3 weeks of QT.

1680013554274.png

I have limited space so I only have a SW mix tank (vs RO tank and Mix tank). NOTE the RO system on the left is drinking water for the house.

IMG_7714.jpeg

Valve at sump location. Mag 5 pump is in the sump and connected to APEX for control.

1680014062798.png

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back