Saltgator's 240 Build

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, I see. If your tank was established you should not have had to seed the pellets from what I've read. Have you had tested your test kits against another test kit to make sure you're getting accurate results? Also, how about the water you are using for top offs and water changes? Are you using RO/DI?

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, I see. If your tank was established you should not have had to seed the pellets from what I've read. Have you had tested your test kits against another test kit to make sure you're getting accurate results? Also, how about the water you are using for top offs and water changes? Are you using RO/DI?

Test were by either Elos or API (both kits I own) then rechecked at lfs. Numbers matched. RO/DI for both, new filters at every 6 months and di resin every 3 months ( doing my system and a friends with my water). My DT should have enough bacteria thru it (hopefully), my 240 has been running since April and everything except substrate was transferred from a 125 that had been up almost 2 years prior. I appreciate all your help (please continue if you'd like), just ranting earlier (wife doesn't understand reefs, LOL).

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL about your wife! I'm just throwing it all out there at ya seeing if you missed a step. I wonder if mixing up the substrate that was transferred has something to do with it? I would think your tank up and running since April would have enough bacteria to seed the bio-pellets. Adding some bacteria to it couldn't hurt though.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL about your wife! I'm just throwing it all out there at ya seeing if you missed a step. I wonder if mixing up the substrate that was transferred has something to do with it? I would think your tank up and running since April would have enough bacteria to seed the bio-pellets. Adding some bacteria to it couldn't hurt though.

Considering this as well. I'm not sure about the substrate, I didn't use but a couple cups of the old to seed my new substrate (tropic eden). I appreciate going over everything as well (kinda 4 eyes are better than 2). My wife has to have advanced warning when we talk about my reef (kinda like prep for a test, LOL). She loves the colors, but says she gets a headache (jokingly) from my questions (which tang would you get, how about this coral, what's your. 02 on my numbers, etc)<< LOL

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood about trying to describe things. My fiance does a pretty good job of at least pretending to listen to me. Keep posting and I'm sure you'll come up with a solution to your issue.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood about trying to describe things. My fiance does a pretty good job of at least pretending to listen to me. Keep posting and I'm sure you'll come up with a solution to your issue.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small updates:

Finally put sliding doors on the stand (almost 100% noise reduction, no more water plant sound). Working on sliders for the canopy. All fish are happy. Picassos are laying eggs. Regal angel and vlamingi tang are have negotiations on the top dog role. Still haven't found the reason on my sps decline. Only thing off was phosphate, it was at 0.25 (higher than I want), but trying to decide if I'll let the bio pellets (BRS brand ones) go after the phosphate or chance gfo.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot that I added a Reef Angel + controller. I like it, but feel that it might be too much for me (I'm just looking for simple and a all in one to replace 5+ timers). This controller does that, but it has abilities I'll never use (sunset, sunrise, etc).

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I keep remembering things. Did a 50g WC, siphoning the sump, the substrate, and rocks. Surprising. The water was somewhat clean. Took the skimmer out as well and cleaned it too.

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
negotiations as top dog. I like the way you worded that!!! Sounds like you are having great success if your clowns are breeding! Can't wait to see the updated photos.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
negotiations as top dog. I like the way you worded that!!! Sounds like you are having great success if your clowns are breeding! Can't wait to see the updated photos.

Here ya go. I posted them in a thread. Not great shots, but cool camera pics (I think at least).

yru4y9yd.jpg
epegasud.jpg
buna8ahy.jpg
tatameny.jpg
2ujejugy.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice... congrats. 1smile1

Thanks Marvin. I'm not trying raise them, yet. I need to get my system under control and figure why my sps aren't living. Thanks

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about an FTS and some fish pics? :bigsmile:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back