0   0   0
Reef and fish and its the only two salts we get here on regular basis

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s does fritz compare to Red Sea? FYI there was a YouTube video I Sea where the aquaforest salt mixed and it was yellowish is this true?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think he still keeps a reefer tank, but from what I recall it was IO.

Yes, in my situation I preferred IO. The others mentioned here are certainly fine, however, and in general, most salt mixes can work fine as long as you understand what they do and what they don’t do. [emoji3]

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand. Red Sea is real saltwater

No, it isn’t. One cannot dry down seawater to a sold, and then rehydrate it to make seawater again. Some things like calcium carbonate precipitate and do not redissolve. Red Sea coral pro also does not match natural seawater parameters. Alk, for example, is very high. So they must add in extra sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, etc.

They very closest it could be (and I’m not even convinced it is this, but I do not really know) is to dry seawater, then add back some chemicals to get something close to seawater. Another possibility is to dry seawater to collect the basic chemicals separately (which is done all over the world to produce table salt and other chemicals) and then recombine them in appropriate ratios. I do not know which salt companies use either of these possible processes.

Some companies, of course, may also use mined or synthesized source chemicals.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one can not afford red sea salt with the frequency I prefer to do water changes. I have tried lots of salts. Currently trying fritz but will probably always end up back to IO RC

Violetdasy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it isn’t. One cannot dry down seawater to a sold, and then rehydrate it to make seawater again. Some things like calcium carbonate precipitate and do not redissolve. Red Sea coral pro also does not match natural seawater parameters. Alk, for example, is very high. So they must add in extra sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, etc.

They very closest it could be (and I’m not even convinced it is this, but I do not really know) is to dry seawater, then add back some chemicals to get something close to seawater. Another possibility is to dry seawater to collect the basic chemicals separately (which is done all over the world to produce table salt and other chemicals) and then recombine them in appropriate ratios. I do not know which salt companies use either of these possible processes.

Some companies, of course, may also use mined or synthesized source chemicals.
Red Sea is no produced my chemists in a lab it comes from the ocean. that's the point

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%

Back