Saltwater Aquarium Equipment of the Future: "To Boldly Go Where No Reef Has Gone Before"

What category of equipment would you like to see more advancement in?

• Lighting

Votes: 121 16.4%
  • Pumps

Votes: 58 7.8%
  • Filtration

Votes: 122 16.5%
  • Chemicals

Votes: 48 6.5%
  • Controllers

Votes: 131 17.7%
  • Dosing

Votes: 121 16.4%
  • Testing

Votes: 414 55.9%
  • Aquariums Themselves

Votes: 88 11.9%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 29 3.9%

• Total voters

Michael Stetz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank raised livestock. I think sustainability is a growing concern and pressure will be applied to the industry to tank raise fish coral and even rock.

On a different note I am noticing open water aquascapes are becoming more popular. I see the trend coming of less rock and more swimming space. Marine pure and other sump advancements can sustain a lot of bacteria to make up for less live rock.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Advancement in reef safe medicine. How many people lose fish and corals do to ich or velvet or some other parasite or bacterial disease

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every few years I go on a SCUBA trip. Upon returning I always think what a pathetic approximation of natural reef lighting our aquariums are subjected to. Honorable mention for me would be to find some way to approximate the massive planktonic foods available on natural reefs. Yes, the frozen foods available today far outstrip a decade ago, but the Tuka anthias is still mostly impossible to keep.

Reefs anonymous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see something that keeps the glass and all the corners clean. No more sticking hand into tank to wipe glass clean!

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see some sort of online place where others who are interested in the hobby can post their thoughts and share information, pictures or videos. Think how amazing it would be to open a browser window and be able to sit for hours just taking in all sorts of information. Wow.
;Joyful

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been in the hobby forever now. I thought by now we would be much farther along in our knowledge than we are. I have seen slipping on the knowledge that many hobbyist hard fought and spent countless hours trying and testing. It is distressing many times reading threads to see that people have not learned from the past and continue to make the same equipment and husbandry errors that hobbyist did years ago and at the time we had figured out the cause of the issue.
By this time in the hobby I would have hoped we had gotten to the point of hobbyist having an easy time keeping corals and fish with a better understanding why things happen and how to correctly handle problems. But we are still going around in circles with no end in sight.

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEATERS!!! It just seems like there needs to be triple redundancy on heaters these days. Even on the apex I use, I have two temperature probes to make sure temp is okay. I also like the pre-quarantined idea.

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been in the hobby forever now. I thought by now we would be much farther along in our knowledge than we are. I have seen slipping on the knowledge that many hobbyist hard fought and spent countless hours trying and testing. It is distressing many times reading threads to see that people have not learned from the past and continue to make the same equipment and husbandry errors that hobbyist did years ago and at the time we had figured out the cause of the issue.
By this time in the hobby I would have hoped we had gotten to the point of hobbyist having an easy time keeping corals and fish with a better understanding why things happen and how to correctly handle problems. But we are still going around in circles with no end in sight.
I think this is true. I also think it is always going to be this way. I was in the hobby during the early 90's and wow....I just recently came back and was asking ....what is a skimmer and what happened to trickle filters? :) Most people don't do in-depth studies when they get into a hobby. To have a truly amazing tank, it takes a lot of know how, time, and patience. Most people see the pictures of the beautiful tanks that are posted or are at their friends house and decide to go for it. They think it will take a very short amount of time to get it up and running and looking amazing. A lot of people will go through the process of setting up a tank and then do not understand that it has to cycle for a while and give up. Others don't understand the time commitment that it takes (even with all the equipment). All hobbies have this happening to a certain degree. Someone see someone else doing something fun and exciting that produces great results and they want that too. The unfortunate thing is that living animals are sometimes involved in the downfalls of tanks and poor decisions based on lack of understanding or patience. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly agree that the downside of a faulty heater can be catastrophic. That it came up so many times surprised me tho. I have had only one give out in the last eight years with 3-4 in constant use over the time. But I have heard the stories many times, so my approach was:
a) buy only non-glass heaters with lifetime warranties. This encourages the manufacturer to spend on reliability. U use Aqueon Pros but there must be others.
b) about the time my livestock value got material, I bought an APEX controller and eventually figured out how to use about 1/2 of it -- the important bits anyway.

Of course, now I have cursed myself. They'll all melt on me, and my Apex will go catatonic next time I leave town.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back