saltwater mixing station build ideas needed

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes religiously every 14 days been buying RODI and saltwater from LFS for $0.50 a gallon but recently been having some issues with their water quality and salinity so I been thinking about making my own from now on.
I have a 32 gallon tank I only do 5 gallons per water change and only top off about half gallon of RODI a week I love the designs I’ve seen of others saltwater mixing stations on here using the 32 gallon brute trash cans but I feel that would be way to much for my tank size and also living in a small house space is limited.
I’m a little confused on choosing the right RODI system to use
Would it be possible to make a system using just 5gal buckets
How long can I store saltwater and RODI
Any suggestions design ideas would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for only 5 gallons at a time you don't really need an elaborate mixing station. You could fill a bucket mix and heat it there and that's all you need
I was considering that and buying one of those RODI buddy systems that hook up to the sink

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering that and buying one of those RODI buddy systems that hook up to the sink
I was considering buying the ro buddy but once I found out the ratio was like 4:1 waste/production i opted against it. I have the brs 5 stage 150 gpd water saver. You may not need a system that large though. One thing I can say is that it makes water FAST. It does come with adaptors for faucets, hose bibs and angle stops.

I mounted mine in the laundry room and just put a hose bib splitter on cold water washer valve

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering buying the ro buddy but once I found out the ratio was like 4:1 waste/production i opted against it. I have the brs 5 stage 150 gpd water saver. You may not need a system that large though. One thing I can say is that it makes water FAST. It does come with adaptors for faucets, hose bibs and angle stops.

I mounted mine in the laundry room and just put a hose bib splitter on cold water washer valve
That large meaning stages or how little Ile be making rodi?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That large meaning stages or how little Ile be making rodi?
Daily production. I would go with at a least a 4 stage but I do believe 5 stage is recommend is your water is treated with chloramine but I could be wrong there.

During the summer, with source water much warmer, I can make 5 gallons in minutes. Winter time takes a bit longer

I needed to use a booster with mine since my water pressure was like 42 at the membrane. The booster runs the system at 80 now. Much faster production and less waste.
7c86e33d9e710bf2e06dcc8073c427d1.jpg

OP
OP
VB313

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup live in Philadelphia pa city web site sais uses 2ppm of chloramine and 7ppm fluoride

Citycop89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could run an RODI into a 10 gallon container with a valve on the bottom to drain into a 5gallon bucket for mixing salt water and fill what ever container you use for freshwater top off. Google 10 gallon water container and you will come up with multiple small footprint containers. Then you can make sure you always have water on hand.

When I was doing 5 gallon water changes, I would drop a cheap power head and heater from pet I into the bucket and that would take care of mixing and heating. I would then have an empty bucket next to it and syphon our water to match the level of saltwater. Worked well for me. Maintained salinity, just have to pay attention to matching amount.

Back