Low tech Mixing station.

kshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently setup as a low tech mixing station. Built the stand today and setup the 32 gallon brute trash cans. Will be setting up my new 5 stage brs rodi tomorrow. Will be running an electrical outlet tomorrow between the two trash cans. For a pump and heater setup.

Looking for advice on a decent cheap mixing pump sub $200 need about 15’ of head pressure; and if anyone has recommendations for a WiFi adapter to control the pump that would be great.

I was thinking the Hygger 2120gph pump with a kasa ultra mini smart plug.

I have used a Hygger 1350 for about 5 years on a freshwater tank and I am using the 800 on my saltwater tank for the past 2 years but any other recommendations would be great.

Thanks. Will update as I get more done.

Also if this is the wrong sub for this let me know.

IMG_3073.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not low tech lol. Mine is low tech, a brute can on wheels and two old powerheads. I have to drop a pump and hose into the brute to pump water out for changes but it's faster if I scoop it out with a pitcher ;)

EDIT : must remember to unplug power heads when using the pitcher to scoop. The power heads leak electricity and pack a pretty good punch. I really need to replace them :zany-face:

OP
OP
kshaw

kshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not low tech lol. Mine is low tech, a brute can on wheels and two old powerheads. I have to drop a pump and hose into the brute to pump water out for changes but it's faster if I scoop it out with a pitcher ;)

EDIT : must remember to unplug power heads when using the pitcher to scoop. The power heads leak electricity and pack a pretty good punch. I really need to replace them :zany-face:
Never leak angry pixies into the water. It’s not good for your health.

Also the end goal is to make it a not so low tech solution. I will be plumping the two together to make mixing salt easier and to make pumping rodi and saltwater to the tank upstairs. The wife is tired of me blocking off the bathroom from the kiddos ever time I need to make water.

OP
OP
kshaw

kshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Sicce zero return packs some head pressure…. 14’ might be a stretch however….
Sicce zero wouldn’t work. The pump will be external and plumping will be done to make both cans tied together for “automating” saltwater mixing and pumping both rodi and saltwater to the tank upstairs. I have a sicce zero for my previous setup.

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, I'd go with an Iwaki or something similar like a Little Giant. These are specifically designed for head pressure and should fall within the $200-$300 range.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never leak angry pixies into the water. It’s not good for your health.

Also the end goal is to make it a not so low tech solution. I will be plumping the two together to make mixing salt easier and to make pumping rodi and saltwater to the tank upstairs. The wife is tired of me blocking off the bathroom from the kiddos ever time I need to make water.
I totally get it and would love to have a nice neat station but I have a problem with plumbing. I can do it and make it work but it's usually pretty ugly. I mix in a unfinished basement so nothing is in the way.
I'm going to follow this thread and would love to see updates. I'm tearing down my basement sump and all tanks and sumps will be on the first floor. I'm continuing to mix salt in the basement and have been rolling the brute over to the bottom of the steps and using a pond pump on a remote control outlet to pump water up for changes. It work but I would really like to come up with a more not so low tech system I just haven't come up with a solution yet and maybe able to use some of your ideas if you don't mind.
EDIT I even have a few reeflo external pumps with very high head pressure that I could use. Thanks to @Sirlagzalott for showing the iwaki. I hadn't thought if using one of my reeflo pumps until I saw the post. I have a severe lack of foresight and creativity lol.

OP
OP
kshaw

kshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally get it and would love to have a nice neat station but I have a problem with plumbing. I can do it and make it work but it's usually pretty ugly. I mix in a unfinished basement so nothing is in the way.
I'm going to follow this thread and would love to see updates. I'm tearing down my basement sump and all tanks and sumps will be on the first floor. I'm continuing to mix salt in the basement and have been rolling the brute over to the bottom of the steps and using a pond pump on a remote control outlet to pump water up for changes. It work but I would really like to come up with a more not so low tech system I just haven't come up with a solution yet and maybe able to use some of your ideas if you don't mind.
Go for it. I can give you more pics of the stand and setup. Even dimensions for the boards and types of wood used if you want. Below it will hold 5 gallon buckets with about 4 inches of clearance for salt and general use buckets.

OP
OP
kshaw

kshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I 2nd the Little Giants,
Just in case you didn’t know….I learned the hard way to plumb the initial connection with flexible hose as they do vibrate
I’ve done this in my tanks for noise but this will be in the basement short of noise is there any issue with just hardline.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this in my tanks for noise but this will be in the basement short of noise is there any issue with just hardline.
You can plumb hardline but the pump does vibrate and can potentially compromise glued or friction based connection.
I’d go: inlet > barb > hose > pvc
same for inlet but given the bulkhead will be on a plastic barrel vs a glass sump, perhaps not as critical …
all depends on the orientation and mounting of the pump

OP
OP
kshaw

kshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can plumb hardline but the pump does vibrate and can potentially compromise glued or friction based connection.
I’d go: inlet > barb > hose > pvc
same for inlet but given the bulkhead will be on a plastic barrel vs a glass sump, perhaps not as critical …
all depends on the orientation and mounting of the pump

Good to know.

OP
OP
kshaw

kshaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update number 2

Electrical run

Light added above station and gfci outlet added.

5 stage RODI system up and running.

Leak tested and making rodi water and salt mixing now.

Next steps. buy pump, smart outlet, hose and hose reel, change plumping to make moving rodi water to salt container and mixing salt more hands off.

This will take some time before I update again. I’m on a limited budget so it will prolly be a few months.

IMG_3075.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back