Saltwater molly conversion chance?

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!,

I got 2 regular black velvet mollies from petco they looked really healthy from the getgo and were only $4 a piece. I got a heater for my acclimation bucket with a dripper I already had. I dripped them for 9 hours and put them in after lights out, slightly raising the PH and salinity over those 9 hours. What are the chances they even survive overnight? Or more then the 2 weeks people have trouble getting past? I figured ask here for honest opinions.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
20-40 nitrates
ph 8.0-8.2
temp 79.6-80.4
salinity 1.025
then all the regular parameters for corals

Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any luck, but the lfs just tosses them in from fresh to salt, no acclimation and they thrive?!

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any luck, but the lfs just tosses them in from fresh to salt, no acclimation and they thrive?!
lol well we will see the blue reef chromis is sharing their territory with one of the mollies. Maybe that will destress that specific molly. The other one is still out in the open not sure that one will survive.

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to acclimate mine over a course of a couple hours from fresh to salt. But I've also been lazy and just toss them in after temperature acclimation only.

I currently have 14 lyretail mollies that have bred successfully. Use the fry to to feed green spotted puffer converts until I can offload them.

I'd try to raise the babies you have in salt because they'll fair better

Attachments

• 20220727_084514.jpg
    20220727_084514.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 60

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck acclimating them to saltwater. I probably overkilled their acclimation though as I gave them a full week of gradually having their tank’s salinity raised. As noted babies born in saltwater usually do fine.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to acclimate mine over a course of a couple hours from fresh to salt. But I've also been lazy and just toss them in after temperature acclimation only.

I currently have 14 lyretail mollies that have bred successfully. Use the fry to to feed green spotted puffer converts until I can offload them.

I'd try to raise the babies you have in salt because they'll fair better
I've heard lyretail and balloon mollies have better chances of surviving during the transition. And that basic types with smaller fins usually struggle more. The royal gramma didn't seem to like them much but the blue reef chromis is sharing with them so maybe at least 1 will survive. I also don't know if they are female or male I haven't had the chance to check yet.

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies with strong lateral lines are best for saltwater conversion. They're a common dither fish used to embolden others. Get more females than males. He can be aggressive during mating.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mollies and they get big in saltwater, no issues on a short acclimation 20 mins or less. They never bred but they were the ultimate algae eater, picking on rocks and glass all day.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mollies and they get big in saltwater, no issues on a short acclimation 20 mins or less. They never bred but they were the ultimate algae eater, picking on rocks and glass all day.
One of them is dead on the filter intake, the other one seemingly disappeared. Not sure where it went. But yeah I guess I'll just not try that again until I have a tank setup specifically for saltwater conversion.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only because there's lots and lots of brackish conversion options.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them is dead on the filter intake, the other one seemingly disappeared. Not sure where it went. But yeah I guess I'll just not try that again until I have a tank setup specifically for saltwater conversion.
This has always been how my Molly modifications have gone. Even with already saltwater adapted mine have disappeared, transformed into nutrition for the system.

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has always been how my Molly modifications have gone. Even with already saltwater adapted mine have disappeared, transformed into nutrition for the system.
I found the other one it's still hiding deep under the rock where the blue reef chromis sleeps. I can see him flicking his back fin and then resting rinse and repeat. He came out briefly but the royal gramma chased him back to chromis territory.

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mollies are low in the saltwater pecking order. They're much better suited to macroalgae environments. I've only ever lost some to intentionally feeding to other fish. They're quite dumb. I call them my "kirkland meseeks"

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mollies are low in the saltwater pecking order. They're much better suited to macroalgae environments. I've only ever lost some to intentionally feeding to other fish. They're quite dumb. I call them my "kirkland meseeks"
lol they are pretty dumb but they've never been pushovers in my past freshwater tank. I guess probably because I got small juveniles.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really understood the desire to add mollies to reef tanks.....what is the main reason people are attempting? IMO, they don't look all that great compared to saltwater options.....they can't really handle strong flow......do they eat enough algae to say they are a better option than some of the smaller, algae eating saltwater fish? If so, I will take 5 lol.

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really understood the desire to add mollies to reef tanks.....what is the main reason people are attempting? IMO, they don't look all that great compared to saltwater options.....they can't really handle strong flow......do they eat enough algae to say they are a better option than some of the smaller, algae eating saltwater fish? If so, I will take 5 lol.
They're dither fish, consume algae in a varied manner, but for me they're mainly poop factories used for my macro grow out. The fry are used as feeders

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say they're better than most algae eaters. They eat and eat and eat and ... They also adapted to pretty good flow in my sps dominant tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back