Saltwater molly conversion chance?

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really understood the desire to add mollies to reef tanks.....what is the main reason people are attempting? IMO, they don't look all that great compared to saltwater options.....they can't really handle strong flow......do they eat enough algae to say they are a better option than some of the smaller, algae eating saltwater fish? If so, I will take 5 lol.
A black molly will add much contrast to a tank. I would get a damsel domino, but it will not get along with the fish that I already have.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're dither fish, consume algae in a varied manner, but for me they're mainly poop factories used for my macro grow out. The fry are used as feeders
Being able to use the fry as feeders would definitely be a huge advantage.
A black molly will add much contrast to a tank. I would get a damsel domino, but it will not get along with the fish that I already have.
That is true I guess.....there aren't a lot of pure black, smaller size options (black cardinals are one that does come to mind).

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently working on a 55 gallon feeder build. Includes macro grow out, mollies, and saltwater feeder shrimp. I'm trying to create dense macro coverage to allow the fry and shrimp to survive. Will be used to feed my dumb butt green spotted puffer.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two cheap mollies in my reef.. just some random people ones I originally got to see if I had any illness etc in my tank.. those things have been in there 2 years now and I find their fry all over the place. a lot of them don’t make it .. some do then I give them away

OP
OP
immaman2011

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the only surviving molly out of the 2 females and 2 males is one male who seems to have adjusted way better. He's a sailfin gold dust molly and was pretty much an adult when he was added. The others were younger.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 65 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back