Saltwater stingrays refuse to eat

logan10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a student studying marine biology and in our lab we are performing respirometry on stingrays to measure oxygen consumption and metabolic rates at increased temperatures. This is being done on neonatal rays (eventually) and juveniles (currently). My issue is, I’ve just got 2 juvenile Atlantic stingrays (160mm disk width) last Thursday and they don’t want to eat anything I offer them. The tank they are in is 70G with an exterior ~15G bio filter tub, and the tank is split down the middle so each ray is separated but in the same setup.

Now before anyone comes at me for having them in too small of a tank I KNOW. If you would like to donate funds towards our lab to purchase larger tanks please let me know, otherwise this is the largest we have, and there’s nothing that can be done about that. There’s too much negativity in some of these forums and I genuinely need help not criticism.

That being said. I have tried feeding live mussel, live small crabs, night crawlers, mysis shrimp, blood worms, krill, and frozen shrimp, yet they haven’t touched a thing. They are very active, don’t have a depression in their forehead or a protruding pelvic girdle, as I’ve seen some people have noted in emaciated rays. I’ve performed a 25% water change since Thursday and will do another tonight when my saltwater mix is ready. Nitrates and nitrites are at 0, pH at 8.2, and salinity at 25ppm. It appears as though my water parameters are relatively pristine, but they still don’t want to eat, and I’m beginning to get worried.

I’ve seen people say live ghost or grass shrimp and blackworms should be my next step, is this true? And would it be better if they were together in the same side of the tank so they could be social, or would that cramp them even more. I’ve looked into force or tube feeding but that is my absolute last option because I can’t risk injuring them or stressing them out too much. Any actual advice or suggestions are helpful, thank you.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to the site for the Georgia Aquarium. They have a page dedicated to Atlantic Stingrays. Possibly you or your prof can contact them.

Upvote 1

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

This one may be a good question for @Jay Hemdal - that said, live ghost shrimp and blackworms are usually good options for enticing picky eaters. I don't know if internal parasites would be a concern for these, but that and excess stress would be my first thoughts for a reason behind them not eating.

Upvote 1

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a student studying marine biology and in our lab we are performing respirometry on stingrays to measure oxygen consumption and metabolic rates at increased temperatures. This is being done on neonatal rays (eventually) and juveniles (currently). My issue is, I’ve just got 2 juvenile Atlantic stingrays (160mm disk width) last Thursday and they don’t want to eat anything I offer them. The tank they are in is 70G with an exterior ~15G bio filter tub, and the tank is split down the middle so each ray is separated but in the same setup.

Now before anyone comes at me for having them in too small of a tank I KNOW. If you would like to donate funds towards our lab to purchase larger tanks please let me know, otherwise this is the largest we have, and there’s nothing that can be done about that. There’s too much negativity in some of these forums and I genuinely need help not criticism.

That being said. I have tried feeding live mussel, live small crabs, night crawlers, mysis shrimp, blood worms, krill, and frozen shrimp, yet they haven’t touched a thing. They are very active, don’t have a depression in their forehead or a protruding pelvic girdle, as I’ve seen some people have noted in emaciated rays. I’ve performed a 25% water change since Thursday and will do another tonight when my saltwater mix is ready. Nitrates and nitrites are at 0, pH at 8.2, and salinity at 25ppm. It appears as though my water parameters are relatively pristine, but they still don’t want to eat, and I’m beginning to get worried.

I’ve seen people say live ghost or grass shrimp and blackworms should be my next step, is this true? And would it be better if they were together in the same side of the tank so they could be social, or would that cramp them even more. I’ve looked into force or tube feeding but that is my absolute last option because I can’t risk injuring them or stressing them out too much. Any actual advice or suggestions are helpful, thank you.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've raised a number of these over the years. Feeding them should be no problem with the foods you have offered them. That means that there is something wrong that is stopping their feeding behavior. Here are some possibilities:

1) When these rays are born, they often go a couple of weeks before they start to feed on their own. What was the history of these fish?

2) This species ranges from freshwater to fully marine habitats, but changing salinity upwards must be done slowly. Do you know the salinity that they arrived in?

3) Uncontrolled ammonia in the water will keep them from eating. What is the current ammonia level?

Tube feeding is dangerous and pretty useless unless you identify why they are not eating. If you want to try that though, here is an article I posted on that:

Jay

Upvote 1
OP
OP
L

logan10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef and sorry for your trouble!

This one may be a good question for @Jay Hemdal - that said, live ghost shrimp and blackworms are usually good options for enticing picky eaters. I don't know if internal parasites would be a concern for these, but that and excess stress would be my first thoughts for a reason behind them not eating.
Are there any sites you recommend to buy live blackworms? Or would my best bet be pet or marine supply stores? I’ve never seen them for sale in any stores in my area

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any sites you recommend to buy live blackworms? Or would my best bet be pet or marine supply stores? I’ve never seen them for sale in any stores in my area
I've heard good things about this store:
Other than that:
The two places that I know are legitimate sites that offer them:
A place that offers alternatives:
A bunch of other places offer blackworms for sale, I just don't know if they're legitimate or not.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
L

logan10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've raised a number of these over the years. Feeding them should be no problem with the foods you have offered them. That means that there is something wrong that is stopping their feeding behavior. Here are some possibilities:

1) When these rays are born, they often go a couple of weeks before they start to feed on their own. What was the history of these fish?

2) This species ranges from freshwater to fully marine habitats, but changing salinity upwards must be done slowly. Do you know the salinity that they arrived in?

3) Uncontrolled ammonia in the water will keep them from eating. What is the current ammonia level?

Tube feeding is dangerous and pretty useless unless you identify why they are not eating. If you want to try that though, here is an article I posted on that:

Jay
The pupping season ends typically in October for these rays, so they’re likely between 3-4 months old, and they’re a bit larger than the neonates we’ve seen so that would track.

The salinity was 24ppm where we collected them, and in the tank it is currently 26ppm. And the ammonia level reads at 0. Another reply mentioned parasites, and while these rays are known to have intestinal parasites, every elasmobranch typically does, and that doesn’t mean they’re unhealthy. Plus these are so young I’d have a hard time believing they’d already have any, but I guess the stress of transport could provide a great environment for them to thrive, but for both of them to not be eating because of that also seems strange.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pupping season ends typically in October for these rays, so they’re likely between 3-4 months old, and they’re a bit larger than the neonates we’ve seen so that would track.

The salinity was 24ppm where we collected them, and in the tank it is currently 26ppm. And the ammonia level reads at 0. Another reply mentioned parasites, and while these rays are known to have intestinal parasites, every elasmobranch typically does, and that doesn’t mean they’re unhealthy. Plus these are so young I’d have a hard time believing they’d already have any, but I guess the stress of transport could provide a great environment for them to thrive, but for both of them to not be eating because of that also seems strange.

Thanks
Internal parasites typically do not cause anorexia, the fish will eat well, just not gain weight.

Jay

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back