Photo_1663712231418.jpg

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D6D0046-9A16-497B-A52E-B53A08843014.gif

For me planted tank were harder to maintain. I just never could get it right. I think if you can find success with a planted tank you will catch on to saltwater reef tank fairly easy.
Show some photos of your planted tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
If you do something stupid like me and use tap water, algae is going to be a pain in both planted tanks and reef tanks (the added bonus is high phosphates also hurts corals in saltwater). Corals are far more finicky than plants, but they also are able to adapt and respond to changes much better (plants just sit and let themselves get covered in algae). Many of the same problems still occur: overgrowth, coral/plant safe fish and inverts, maintaining ideal parameters, etc..
I don’t run high tech setups for either, but I have found my planted tanks and my reef to be rather similar, main difference in upkeep being that I don’t have to mix salt for the freshwater. Salt obviously comes with its challenges, but if you can master a planted tank, it’s not too far of a stretch.
One major aspect is the cost though, if a Java fern or Val melts, not so big a deal. If really any coral melts, that’s a big financial loss.

Wrassenaround

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first post here... I have a high tech planted and a nano reef (20 gallon red sea max)

Reef is by far more work its not even close. Week to week maintenance though is kind of similar but I've found reefing has by far more pests that are extremely common and difficult to remove( bubble algae, dinos, aptaisa etc...)
Algaes blooms are more aggressive with a lack of better words and fish sickness is much more nasty and common.

Planted tank basically just trimming filling an ato and testing when color and growth is kinda weak. Reefing has quite a few more complications and equipment.
Welcome to Reef2Reef! I have a nano planted tank and a 90 gallon reef and had a 20 gallon reef. The reef tanks are much more work than planted tanks. I can leave my planted tank alone for weeks at a time and it will be fine, if I did that with reef tank it would be devastating. The maintenance in a reef tank is much more pertinent and overall husbandry is more complex.

As far as saltwater goes start with as big of a tank as you can get. Its much easier to keep a tank that is larger than a nano especially if your first saltwater would be a nano.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, new here and new to saltwater tanks. Over the past couple years I got into the aquarium hobby with planted tanks. It's been a love/hate relationship as algae has been my eternal foe.

I'm ready to take a break from planted tanks and am considering giving salt water tanks a go. Do any of you have experience both with planted tanks and saltwater? Is algae control any easier with saltwater?

There are some good deals on craigslist right now for the Red Sea 20g nano, so that's what I'm leaning towards going with.

Any estimates on weekly/monthly time and financial investment would also be appreciated!

Appreciate any and all input!

Thanks

Jared

Hi Jared and Welcome! Glad you joined.

You will enjoy this latest Reef Hobbyist Magazine, starting page 6 on microalgae (cute tobies on cover at lots of LFSs right now):

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody, new here and new to saltwater tanks. Over the past couple years I got into the aquarium hobby with planted tanks. It's been a love/hate relationship as algae has been my eternal foe.

I'm ready to take a break from planted tanks and am considering giving salt water tanks a go. Do any of you have experience both with planted tanks and saltwater? Is algae control any easier with saltwater?

There are some good deals on craigslist right now for the Red Sea 20g nano, so that's what I'm leaning towards going with.

Any estimates on weekly/monthly time and financial investment would also be appreciated!

Appreciate any and all input!

Thanks

Jared
welcome to R2R!
I have tried keeping both, failed miserably with planted tanks especially with algae.
I wouldn’t say that Reef tanks are easier, but keeping up with the maintenance and providing appropriate care is much more rewarding than

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 163 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back