Saltwater Through Garden Hose?

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For water changes, I mix my RO/DI water into saltwater in my basement in a Brute trash can. I then pump it upstairs to my tank through a garden hose which has never been used for any other purpose. I was recently watching a BRS video and they mentioned not using a garden hose. Could I unknowingly be putting contaminants in my tank? I figured that for the short amount of time the water is in contact with the inside of the hose, it wouldn’t be a problem. Now I’m having second thoughts. Opinions?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brass connectors will corrode. I have used hoses with plastic connectors for salted water. You can get those at camper stores. they are usually made a little different and might be called drinking water hoses.

That is one possibility. Most yard hoses have stuff in the plastics that can leach into your water over time. Something else to consider might be water left in the hose after you are done.. Most hoses are really hard to completely drain.. I might suggest making your own hose using clear vinyl and plastic connectors.. .

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard that many hoses use lead to help with flexibility. Best to go with a hose that’s designed for portable water. Some camper hoses will work. Also “flexzilla” hoses are drinking water safe and certified by NSF certified.

OP
OP
Chipper1978

Chipper1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve heard that many hoses use lead to help with flexibility. Best to go with a hose that’s designed for portable water. Some camper hoses will work. Also “flexzilla” hoses are drinking water safe and certified by NSF certified.
Yikes! Here I thought I considered everything in this hobby. :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 40.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back