Same light ?

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the live stream announcing the new Apex fuge light.
I’ve looking at setting up a fuge and being able to run and control the fuge light with my Apex peaked my interest.

When I found the “Apex” light on BRS it looked like a light I’d looked at on Amazon. Searching my lists on Amazon I saw what looked to be the same saved in my reef list, bytbit no longer on Amzon.

Still I was sure a similar light. Going through bookmarks from searches looking for fuge lights, I came across this item saved from a previous and not too long ago search on BRS.

Isn’t this the same light? The only thing I can find different is the Orange frame and the addition of a alternative mounting option. The price point is a little different. Add in a power supply if you need one the price is nearly identical.

The specs are identical.

Not that there’s anything anything with rebranding Chinese commodities, its done all the time. Usually though there’s some value added. This light has okay reviews under its other brand, not outstanding but okay. Or it did. It seems it went out of stock everywhere not too long before the Apex light was released. Coincidence maybe.

Completion is a good thing, it drives innovation. Innovation builds company’s.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep ive been thinking the same thing, go even cheaper though and just buy the acke refugium light for $20

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Neptune clearly stated they partnered with another company for the GRO, and visually it's obvious that was the Zetlight. But Neptune modified the spectrum (455-460nm and 620-670nm for GRO vs. 450-480nm to 580-650nm for Zetlight), modified the mounting systems, used a Molex connector to attach to any available 24v Accessory port on the EB832, 1Link, or FMM module, and added a Task setup feature in Fusion to make it easier for inexperienced Apex users to set up.

I was on the NSI test team for this product for 7 months and there was a lot of feedback to Neptune prior to the release. The same practice is done in many industries to save time, cost, and leverage an existing proven design rather than starting from scratch.

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be negative. I love my Apex. I’m not a fan of the quality, I think they could do much better. But the functionality is pretty good

Just pointing out that the basic light is the same. The modifications to work Apex would be expected. Why would they release anything that doesn’t work directly with Apex? That wouldn’t make any sense.

That said ASSUMING (caps for attention to the assumption) the things I’ve read since making this post about posts being deleted and people being banned from social media Neptune controls for pointing out the Gro is a massed produced Chinese light - assuming- there’s accuracy to that, that wouldn’t be a good thing for Neptune to do. But, I really can’t see them doing that, they’re too good at what they do to pull that kinda crap.

Frankly, of I were still looking at setting up a fuge (I’m not) I would be pre-ordering this light right now. Within reason any light will grow algae but integration with my Apex and with Fusion would be the reason I would buy it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back