Same/Wrong Hammer?

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and sort of still new to saltwater aquariums, so forgive me if this question seems really, really obvious. I know that lighting and whatnot can make a big difference on the ways that corals look.

I purchased a hammer online from an Ebay seller with a good rating stating it was a 'purple tip green stem' hammer. Now I've actually had one of these before and I like the color combination, so I wanted one for the new tank I set up. Consequently, I bought five corals from the same seller and two of the zoanthids were definitely altered photos. Orange in the picture became pink in my tank, but I wasn't too chuffed about that one. The other was very enhanced to appear like it would have good florescence which turned out to be patently false.

So back to the hammer. I got two, and one is definitely exactly as was pictured. Very pretty. The purple tip green stem however is.... not.

Seller Photo.jpg

This is the seller's photo. It looked close enough to a purple tip that I was satisfied.

Hammer.jpg

This is the hammer that I received. It's a sort of dusky pink color and has zero florescence under actinic. This is blue-tinted whites in the photo. It's pretty and different than the others I have in the tank, but am I crazy in thinking that this is the wrong hammer? What color would you guys actually call this?

Fire shrimp.jpg

And a second picture because my fire shrimp was posing so pretty next to it.

Thanks in advance!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and sort of still new to saltwater aquariums, so forgive me if this question seems really, really obvious. I know that lighting and whatnot can make a big difference on the ways that corals look.

I purchased a hammer online from an Ebay seller with a good rating stating it was a 'purple tip green stem' hammer. Now I've actually had one of these before and I like the color combination, so I wanted one for the new tank I set up. Consequently, I bought five corals from the same seller and two of the zoanthids were definitely altered photos. Orange in the picture became pink in my tank, but I wasn't too chuffed about that one. The other was very enhanced to appear like it would have good florescence which turned out to be patently false.

So back to the hammer. I got two, and one is definitely exactly as was pictured. Very pretty. The purple tip green stem however is.... not.

Seller Photo.jpg

This is the seller's photo. It looked close enough to a purple tip that I was satisfied.

Hammer.jpg

This is the hammer that I received. It's a sort of dusky pink color and has zero florescence under actinic. This is blue-tinted whites in the photo. It's pretty and different than the others I have in the tank, but am I crazy in thinking that this is the wrong hammer? What color would you guys actually call this?

Fire shrimp.jpg

And a second picture because my fire shrimp was posing so pretty next to it.

Thanks in advance!

So, looking at seller's photo I do think you got what was advertised.

HOWEVER with that said, looking at that seller's photo seems like color saturation has been adjusted thru software, so what coral actually looked like would be unknown (until it arrives, like it has). Compare that coral to everything else in photo such as tag, grate, etc. Other seller photos will have fingers that same color and I'm always floored... and I always click away from that site.

I'm sure most people are good intentioned... but me personally I'd like to know what I'm buying and playing with colors etc are just not going to work for me. Personal preference, shop in person. Now, that may mean waiting and travelling to a show or swap but at least you are USA so unless Alaska and Hawaii then likely you will have option(s) ... and in fairness, they do too just longer wait times between things -

OR, find someone local to you selling grow outs:

and don't forget doing FaceBook searches for groups near you that might help you find others...

At least it is pretty, even if it isn't what you originally intended. Grow it out a while and it might grow on you, or you may end up passing it along to someone you find thru aboves (to find other local sellers).

Good luck.

FreshSaltH2o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the base plugs even the same shape ? One looks round and the other an octagon? Or maybe I’m seeing it wrong.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back