SanClementeEric's 130-Gallon Super Shallow Outdoor Lagoon and Confessions of a Reef-a-holic

SanClementeEric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living and dying "by the deal", I'm addicted to searching for, acquiring and accumulating too many "good deals". It's super easy here in Southern California, because there are so many reefers and there are always good deals to be had. Essentially, I'm a hoarder but I try to stick within certain categories.

In the back of my mind, I try to convince myself that if I am going to do anything, I need to go all in and be as professional as possible in that thing. That, for me included IT, R/C cars, filmmaking and aquariums. I work in IT. I ran an online R/C parts business but I sold off my R/C stock and bought an RV with that money. I doubt I could make as much profit with pet products, except if I were to follow one of my dreams and one day open a grand fish store. I dabble still in film production, with an emphasis on post production and own way too many computers and cameras.

My "office" is currently too overstocked with reefing supplies and it has spilled over into a couple of sheds and my backyard and patio. I was seriously starting to get rid of stuff, when "such a great deal" fell upon my eyes. Actually, it was a couple "great deals". And then more and then more, etc., etc.

I have to add that another aspect of the hobby that I enjoy is the interaction with other hobbyists. I am on a couple forums, have joined many clubs and go to a lot of meetings, not just reefing ones but freshwater ones too, when I can. I also enjoy finding deals and using that excuse to drive all over So Cal and meet other "fish people".

Well, I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to justify what I'm doing with this project currently, but it is what it is. The deals so far: a plumbed tomato bin for $40 and a 72" x 36" x 12" frag tank and stand for $200. These coupled with tons of dry rock I had all about the place most of which I probably paid nothing for and the remainder of which, I probably paid not over $50 total for and which amount to almost more than I can even put in the bin, and other equipment that is around, will make up this build, not to mention the future "deals" that I will surely come across.

Here are a couple pictures of the tank and bin, as they currently sit. I honestly don't know what my intended outcome for this tank is. I may even move it inside, eventually. But I guess it's an experiment and I'm more than likely going to mainly go FOWLR with fish that I can't keep in my reef tank. Where the stand is sitting, is my current, intended location. I think, though, that I want to turn the stand so that the overflow is on the other side of where it is now. I am also intending to plumb the tomato bin into the system to be a big, hopefully over-killed LR filtration unit. I do intend to add some sort of sump/refugium under the stand and move the skimmer there too; toying with the idea of an external skimmer.

Currently, I'm just curing the rock in the tomato bin. I'm forcing myself to get rid of stuff with each step of the project, to make sure I am motivated to clean up and streamline my actions.

2017-10-18_13-09-56_955.jpeg.jpg

2017-10-19_21-27-04_898.jpeg.jpg

I can't lift the tank onto the stand myself, so I have to be certain of it's placement and/or work out more, before I attempt to place it or before I reach out for a hand in lifting this guy into place.

OP
OP
SanClementeEric

SanClementeEric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm failing on the continuation of the "deals" aspect of this project. In the last week or so, I bought another RODI unit $80, which is currently producing 9 ppm, so will have to buy some new resin and I bought another Apex, $350, which I want to maybe just use parts from it and tie it into my current Apex. I also bought an Iwaki pump $50 (well that's a deal) and am looking at maybe buying a used MP60 ($$$) ... The Apex I did buy, needs a salinity probe.

Time to sell some stuff, I guess...

Last edited:
OP
OP
SanClementeEric

SanClementeEric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added Nemo:
channel.jpg

Long story short: added some Prime to the water and decided to add this guy who was not too happy sitting in a quarantine tank. He's much happier now.

OP
OP
SanClementeEric

SanClementeEric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time over Thanksgiving Eve and Thanksgiving, doing the plumbing...

Bin lid back on
lid.jpg

Filled up
water-in.jpg

Sump and inlet side
sump.jpg

Iwaki pump produces micro-bubbles though... (I think this means I need to find a leak along the line, though...)
inlets.jpg

Moved Nemo to the tank portion:
nemo.jpg

Yes, that's precipitation. I just learned a new thing: Add salt to water not water to salt.

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Awesome.

I love that this tank is outside, and shallow. Your own little tide pool.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back