Daasmo's 62g Lagoon

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting my first saltwater tank. I used to help my mother with a 75g when I was in high school. I would pull up the computer chair and just watch it for hours. I've also been a diver since then and I'm ready to have my own piece of the ocean. When my toddler started showing an interest in fish I saw my opportunity and talked it over with my wife. After a lot of research and deliberation I found a Tideline 62g at my LFS.

I actually started looking at smaller tanks. But I found a stand at Petsmart that got my wife's approval and the 62g fits quite well on. I also tend to go in hard on new hobbies so it's really no surprise I upsized immediately.

My current plan is to build slowly with fish and soft coral. I'm about 4 days into a fishless cycle and still waiting on my lights to show up.

1000007119.jpg 1000007122.jpg 1000007123.jpg

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 days into the cycle. I'm getting nitrites and nitrates but my ammonia and nitrites are over the hanna ranges even after a 30gal water change. So I'm mixing more salt to do another 30 gal tomorrow. I guess I overdosed the nitrocycle.

The good news is a 25ft python hose and a sicce zero pump will let me pump directly from my mixing station to the tank. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Attachments

• 20240316_124340.jpg
    20240316_124340.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the upper limit on your nitrite test? Having nitrites can give you artificially high nitrate readings.
Nitrite top reading is 200 ppb. My plan is to do water changes until I have an accurate reading of ammonia. I have an extra bottle of Fritz 900 I can throw in just to be sure.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite top reading is 200 ppb. My plan is to do water changes until I have an accurate reading of ammonia. I have an extra bottle of Fritz 900 I can throw in just to be sure.
You can add the other bottle but I wouldn't worry too much about it beyond that. 200ppb is low, my nitrites read 5ppm (5000ppb) for a long time during my last cycle.

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was more interested in getting ammonia to a level where I can see where I'm at. I really thought the first water change would get me under 2.5.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along it looks nice

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did another water change today and finally have ammonia under 2.5. It was 1.05 a couple hours after the water change. My plan is to watch this to zero then dose ammonia again and confirm cycle before adding pods. I realized I haven't done a full equipment list. This is more so I can remember what I used. It may seem like a weird mix but I shopped pretty hard on the open box items on a couple different sites.

My current equipment list.

Tank: 62g Tideline Lagoon
Return pumps: Will be Sicce Syncra 1.5 that I haven't switched out yet
Heaters: Sicce Scuba 300 W (that is probably too long, I have to keep the sump pretty full)
BRS Titanium 200w
Heat controller: Inkbird 306A
Powerhead: MP40mQD
ATO: Tunze Osmolator with 5g Jug
Lights: 2 NooPsyche K7 Pro (still waiting on mounting brackets)

I used 40lbs of Aragalive Fiji Pink, 40lbs of caribsea Rock Shelf and a 20lb box of arches. I bought a IM Chaetomax light but still debating on which sump I want to use for a refugium.

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add. I have the media baskets from Kreative Reefer. I like them but haven't loaded anything in them except floss pads. I've also ordered a lid from Kraken Reefs. I got excited when I got a shipping notification but it was just for the feed cup.

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got shipping notification for my lid so it's time to start looking at fish. I'm really struggling with not loading too much at first and still getting free shipping... struggles. Fish list currently from Dr. Reef:

Ocellaris Clown pair
Watchman Goby/pistol pair
Nano Cuc pack

I would like a Conch, urchin and a cleaner shrimp but that seems like a lot to start with. Any thoughts are appreciated.

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Kraken Reef lid today. It fits perfectly. It took 4 weeks from the time I ordered it. Now I'm just waiting on a clown pair, watchman goby and pistol shrimp from Dr. Reef. I'm tired of my wife asking where the fish are.

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order from Dr. Reef is coming tomorrow with two Ocellaris clowns, a watchman goby and pistol shrimp. Tank is chugging along with copepods and amphipods from Dinkins. I do have some diatoms so I ordered a CUC from reef cleaners that should be here next week.

I 3d printed the variable flow nozzles for 1/2 in locline but had to use some heat gun persuasion to get them to fit. Now I need to work on shades for the k7 lights.

The only thing I've really been struggling with is salinity testing. At this point I have 2 refractometers and 2 hanna salinity checkers and I don't know what to trust even after multiple calibrations. Salinity checkers seem to be reading low (~34.5 ppt) and Refractometers are reading high ~36 ppt). I'm just trying to keep it consistent at this point.

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish and pistol shrimp all came alive and well. They're all in the tank and are exploring but they don't seem too excited about my mysis shrimp. I think the watchman goby was eating a little. The pistol shrimp has started on a home but the goby hasn't found him yet.

1000007509.jpg

OP
OP
Daasmo

Daasmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby died today . I'm not sure what happened. He had a dark spot near one of his gills. The pistol shrimp is also MIA but I would think I would find a body since there's no real CUC. Clowns are eating and appear to be doing well. Ugly phase is in full swing. CUC coming next week I hope.

Cheesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby died today . I'm not sure what happened. He had a dark spot near one of his gills. The pistol shrimp is also MIA but I would think I would find a body since there's no real CUC. Clowns are eating and appear to be doing well. Ugly phase is in full swing. CUC coming next week I hope.
That sucks, always hate the unexplained deaths.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back