Sand and Livestock question

TenUhC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the CaribSea Arag Alive Hawaiian Black sand in my replacement nano tank. I had a semi fine grade of white sand in the previous aquarium, when I bought it used. I had a sand sifting star in the old tank and moved him into the new nano with the coarser black sand. I'm wondering if I should get the starfish a new home for 2 reasons. He doesn't seem to be able to penetrate the new sand, even though you can see he's trying. And there is probably not that much to eat in a new sand bed anyways. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Secondly, I have decided that I really like the look and texture of the Arag Alive Hawaiian black, and intend to use it in my 120 Gallon, I'm taking down in 2 weeks. I have a Diamond spotted goby in there now. Same questions as before. Can the goby sift the bigger pieces and will there be enough food for him to eat with new sand bed? Suggestions on this would also be greatly appreciated. Thanx

teddy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mix of white sand, white coral and black sand (it got mixed long ago) and my diamond and snails have no probs landscaping

OP
OP
TenUhC

TenUhC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff has pebbles of sand rather than grains. I'm going on 3 days now and the sand-sifting starfish has still not gone under the sand.

TechDiver

Algae Grower
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the real fine sand. My Cerith, Nassarius, and Conch snails are able to penetrate the sand. The goby and pistol seem to like it as well. I'm not sure how much bigger your sand is though. I also don't have a sand sifting star, so that may be a different story. Anyone else out there know about these stars?

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have trained a diamond goby to eat mysis and chunked shrimp that I buried for him. You could try this if you're worried about feeding him.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 19.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 140 74.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back