SAND BED vs BARE BOTTOM: Is it sand or nothing for you!?

SAND BED vs BARE BOTTOM: Is it sand or nothing for you!?

• SAND BED

Votes: 126 69.6%
  • BARE BOTTOM

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 4.4%

• Total voters

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, obviously so. Dinos feed on silicates. Beach sand is mostly silica, aka, the most abundant substance on the planet. Even argonite sand has some in it.

I like engineer gobies so don't really have a choice, but have to admit when I ran the tank bare bottom I had a lot less issues. Just had to suck out the mulm every once in a while.
Huh?!! You’re thinking diatoms and I’m sure that’s what the op has not Dino’s… have you put them under a scope @blecki ? Dinos don’t come and go with sand or silicates..

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of posts that say they like the natural look of sand in their tank. I’ve done a lot of diving around the world and most of the most beautiful reefs I’ve seen are 15‘ to 40’ or more above the sandy bottom. My favorite Barrier reefs and mound reefs are all well above the sandy bottom.

I’m bare bottom now and really like the ease of cleaning. I actually power blow or turkey baster blow the tank every day. Keeps stuff suspended and easy for the filtration to remove it. Tank re-clears in 20 minutes. Couldn’t do that with a sand bottom.

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a thin layer of crushed coral that can take the flow, which then gets all covered in coralline. I like that it traps detritus and find vacuuming it out easy. I think the sand bed does a better job of pumpin out mandarin food vs the rocks.

I do like the look of an extremely clean bare bottom tank, with the bare bottom actually showing, and only points of rock touching it. But usually bottoms are covered with corals or algae so the tank looks like one big rock, which I personally don't like the look of.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom for me.......easier to keep the tank clean. I have two MP40s that sit right on the ground and push water up against the front glass into the overflow. Couldn't do that with sand. That being said, I do like the look of (clean) sand better...but I will give it up for a healthier tank.

Full tank.JPG

Last edited:

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom for me.......easier to keep the tank clean. I have two MP40s that sit right on the ground and push water up against the front glass into the overflow. Couldn't do that with sand. That being said, I do like the look of sand better...but I will give up that pro for a healtier tank.

Full tank.JPG
Absolutely Gorgeous.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like sand purely for aestetics/wrasses and make it work. Functionality such as a frag tank I would go bare bottom.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be going with a corse sand bottom, in my new system. Maybe crushed coral. I will be open to suggestions. I will have a lot of flow.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be going with a corse sand bottom, in my new system. Maybe crushed coral. I will be open to suggestions. I will have a lot of flow.

Stating the obvious, but I think the amount of flow and aquascape will determine what will work best.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stating the obvious, but I think the amount of flow and aquascape will determine what will work best.
I really would like to use, silver sand or gold sand.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank blew a leak. Quickly threw everything into an off the shelf 125. No sand bed. Just the old LR.

2 weeks to rebalance itself then was fine. I had an algae bloom for a few days in there.

So after 4 months I can now say I went “bare bottom.” Giggity.

I do not think sand beds are as integral to filtration as once thought nor do I think removing one is that detrimental but aesthetically it’s so much better in my opinion.

I know my creatures prefer the sand bed (some need it to live). I couldn’t imagine not having one but my hobby is “a slice of a reef in my home” not growing SPS.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom for me. Easy to maintenance and I can turn up the water flow without worry about any sand storm. My SPS love it. At night I can turn on my red flash light to see the dark side of the moon ;). All the little creatures like isopods, copepods, amphipods........walking, swimming at the bottom of the tank.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely sand but yes not w/o its issues like keeping it clean. I currently have ~4" bed so not dsb anymore. I started with Caribsea Seaflor mixed with some AragAlive sand. Even when I was high flow no issues with blowing sand. Got to have it for all the critters that populate it, bedroom for my wrasses, natural look and sometimes I'll just stick a frag plug into the sand. Never really liked that look in some tanks where they have starboard with everything encrusting all over it.

Last edited:

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't vote- newbie approaching a year in the hobby. I'm very confused.

29 gal with two HOB- Seachem Tidal 75 and 35. No sump. Decided to give salt water a try after being told it was possible with this set up. LFS suggested live rock and bagged live sand. It cycled Very Fast- first coral after a week, first fish a week or two after. Seemed to go well for the first months. Phosphate has been creeping up-currently hovering at 1.

Went to another LFS a couple months ago and described my tank to the owner. I quote him: "you're screwed" upon mention of the sand. He claimed that eventually the tank would be nuked directly due to the presence of sand. This same person also has a sparse thin layer of sand, so sparse there were bare spots in the shop saltwater tanks. He also takes all of the sand out regularly to wash and put back in the tanks. Can't remember how regularly- maybe at least once a month? That was... a shock to me.

So now I've been paying attention to BB topics here. However it seems most of them relate to tanks with complete setups- sumps and everything. My tank is far simpler than that. Do I apply those comments to my setup or no..? Would taking out the sand not provide enough biological medium without the presence of a sump containing more surface area for beneficial bacteria?

My main objective is hoping the LPS corals would thrive and grow. There's only a pair of banggai- no interest in getting other fish. Bunch of hermit crabs.

One thing that caught my attention about BB- the claim that more frequent feeding was possible. The corals obviously thrive with spot feedings. Reduced that to once or twice a month because I don't know how to stop the phosphate from continuing to rise- recently added a small bag of chemiclean in the HOB.. have yet to test the effects. I'd like to feed the corals more regularly, if there's a way to do that and not mess with the parameters.

My real question- is BB an overall positive or negative with simple and small set ups? 29 gal with only HOB filters in my case?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had a few bare bottom tanks and love them but in my new tank i went with sand for more fish choices

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't vote- newbie approaching a year in the hobby. I'm very confused.

29 gal with two HOB- Seachem Tidal 75 and 35. No sump. Decided to give salt water a try after being told it was possible with this set up. LFS suggested live rock and bagged live sand. It cycled Very Fast- first coral after a week, first fish a week or two after. Seemed to go well for the first months. Phosphate has been creeping up-currently hovering at 1.

Went to another LFS a couple months ago and described my tank to the owner. I quote him: "you're screwed" upon mention of the sand. He claimed that eventually the tank would be nuked directly due to the presence of sand. This same person also has a sparse thin layer of sand, so sparse there were bare spots in the shop saltwater tanks. He also takes all of the sand out regularly to wash and put back in the tanks. Can't remember how regularly- maybe at least once a month? That was... a shock to me.

So now I've been paying attention to BB topics here. However it seems most of them relate to tanks with complete setups- sumps and everything. My tank is far simpler than that. Do I apply those comments to my setup or no..? Would taking out the sand not provide enough biological medium without the presence of a sump containing more surface area for beneficial bacteria?

My main objective is hoping the LPS corals would thrive and grow. There's only a pair of banggai- no interest in getting other fish. Bunch of hermit crabs.

One thing that caught my attention about BB- the claim that more frequent feeding was possible. The corals obviously thrive with spot feedings. Reduced that to once or twice a month because I don't know how to stop the phosphate from continuing to rise- recently added a small bag of chemiclean in the HOB.. have yet to test the effects. I'd like to feed the corals more regularly, if there's a way to do that and not mess with the parameters.

My real question- is BB an overall positive or negative with simple and small set ups? 29 gal with only HOB filters in my case?

Sorry to hear your frustrations! :(

If it helps you can have nice tank with very simple setups. This system has no external or internal filtration equipment, just a couple power heads and air pumps.

And this system has had a sand bed since it's inception 26 years ago (maybe the guy was right, it just hasn't been long enough yet :D)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back