Sand Beds

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What depth does everyone prefer their sand beds to be at? On all my current setups I am only running it at about 1-2". However, When I do the new setup I may go a bit deeper and shoot for something in the 3-4" depth. Anyone know of a reason why I shouldn't go that deep? I think at that depth I won't be considered a Deep Sand Bed. Any and all input appreciated.

Eric

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you need to consider what your trying to accomplish with your sand bed. Is there a significant reason why you want to go deeper? The whole deep vs shallow sand bed debate can go on forever(with very legitimate claims and expriences from both perspectives), but I think you need to decide what you want based on how you want it to function. Do you want to do deeper to create an anaerobic space with the intent of better nitrate management? Or, do you just want to go deeper to be more habitable for sand sifting critters?? more possiblities with the sandscaping effects??

Jeremy

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of going to the 3-4" for the looks and for gobies and so forth to be happy. I think I am going to do more smaller fish in the new setup than a few biggins. :D

Eric

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the smaller fish. In my 420 (if I ever get it going) I plan to have lots of gobies and fish with a lot of personality vs several large fish.

Jeremy

siropa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of a shallow one just for looks. I was shooting for about 1" depth in mine. that of course varies with flow, but it mostly has stayed about that. I don't keep any sand dwelling fish though.

condiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with the whole sand bed issue all comes down to personal interestes and what you plan on putting into your system like Jeremy said. I personally like 3 or so inches.

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that if the deep bed gives you any problems on a big tank it's a major undertaking to get it out. Mine's remote on my frag tank, but stays clean and I certainly don't regret having it. More life in there than the rest of my tanks combined. It'd be cool as hell to have some jawfish and sand dwelling gobies as long as they don't decororate your corals with the sand...

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1-2" on my main display; I have 4-5" in my 45g (for my mantis shrimp to burrow).

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4" sand bed isn't considered a deep sand bed though is it? I thought it needed to be more.

Eric

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3-4" sand bed isn't considered a deep sand bed though is it? I thought it needed to be more.

Eric

Anaeorbic conditions can occur in a 3-4 in sand bed. If your looking to prevent any anaerobic spaces from developing then beef up your sand sifting crew and 3-4inches will be fine.

Jeremy

condiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the aquariums that I maintain I have taken over a few that have maybe .25 inch of sand on the bottom and the new ones that I setup with 3 inch bed I see more algae growth on the tanks with less sand then with a deeper sand bed.

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I am going to do a sandbed with about 3" or so. Maybe get a couple of sand sifting stars then to help keep it turned. I will also have a couple of gobies in there as well. I just have been seeing tanks with the little deeper sandbed and kind of liking the looks of it!

Eric

condiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That goes with this whole hobby that it is all in the eye of the beholder

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love SPS but haven't been able to keep them!! I don't know if its lack a stability or the hodge podge setup I have right now. When I get the new system up and running and things setup the way I want them then I will be trying sps again. LPS do awesome for me. But its just in the long run I like the looks of the deeper bed but not the really deep sand bed. Also thinking of making different depths to make it look more natural. time will tell.

Eric

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a downer, but I might reconsider that, Eric. 1 to 2" is great for display, but 3" could be problematic. You either want to go full DSB or shallow for sand. The in-between is a common cause for issues and in a tank that large it'd be tough to remedy. Also, sand sifting stars will decimate your sandbed microfauna in short order and typically starve after they've eaten the living part of your live sand. Sorry, had to throw this in there.

A search on sand depth will give you loads of info on which way to go and a lot depends on what you're trying to do with it. I'd just add a bit more and make it a DSB and get the denitrification out of it as well as the critter burrow capability. Someone chime in if I'm off base here please...

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be for the 72 build John not my 240. I won't be doing the 240 right away until I figure out how to finish the basement. And then the 240 will be in wall. I guess I need to do some more looking and researching. I guess I need to really look at it. After you mention the 3-4" and one actually grabs a ruler and looks at 3-4" thats pretty deep isnt it. LOL Maybe the 1-2" would be much better and vary it along the way to make it look more natural. Off to do some searching. I haven't used the search feature on here yet so time to check it out!

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love SPS but haven't been able to keep them!! I don't know if its lack a stability or the hodge podge setup I have right now. When I get the new system up and running and things setup the way I want them then I will be trying sps again.

Eric

I'm not sure the depth of the sand bed (either deep or shallow) will make it easier or harder to maintain SPS. IME low nutrient levels and a stable alk are the key to keeping SPS. When I say stable, I mean very stable. Once you hit a low nutrient level you'll want to maintain your alk between 6.5-8.0 dkh as many hard core SPS keepers have shown quite often that alk levels beyond those parameters (in a true low nutrient system) will likely result in SPS necrosis (and/or continual stress which will eventually lead to tissue necrosis).

I know many people have quite a liking for DSB's (DSB as defined as being > 4 inches), but for those of you whom are suggesting to use them, how long have you acutally had one set up without disturbing it or routinely cleaning it?? I've read several threads of tank crashes being attributed to a DSB which has been up for more than 6-8 years. A remote DSB is a great thing IMO as you can throw it out and start over if you find it leaching excess nutrients or toxins (hydrogen sulfide) into the water column.

If you have a DSB in your display I think you can prevent problems as long as you provide adequate aeration (siphoning, sifting inverts, sifting fish, etc...); however, that defeats the purpose your trying to achieve with having a true deep sand bed which is an anaerobic space for anaerobic bacteria to remove nitrates. IMO there are far easier ways, with less potential for disaster, to manage nitrates.

If anyone has had a true deep sand bed up and running for more than 6-8 years please speak up and tell us your experiences. I've only heard bad stories. A DSB for aesthetic purposes is great if maintained properly (providing routine aeration), but like John pointed out, several of the critters whom sift the sand will also feed on the pod and worm populations living there (another good reason for a remote sand bed!).

With the aquariums that I maintain I have taken over a few that have maybe .25 inch of sand on the bottom and the new ones that I setup with 3 inch bed I see more algae growth on the tanks with less sand then with a deeper sand bed.

How differently were the tanks maintained?? Grain size of the sand?? Differences in bioload?? There are a thousand and one variables that could have altered that interpretation but I think your interpretation is a very likely and legitimate finding. There is likely a decreased amount of microfauna in the 0.25in sand bed to manage the detritus and uneaten food. IMO a very shallow sand bed (0.5in or less) is the worst of all possibilities. It doesn't afford the microfauna enough room to populate safely out of reach of predators which will pick them off easily and keep their populations quite low. In a bare bottom there aren't those critters either, but often people are able to siphon out all waste in a bare bottom tank. Siphoning a very shallow sand bed is quite difficult and the detritus doesn't accumulate in any one area like in a BB.

Jeremy

OP
OP
F

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I want to achieve in all reality is a deeper sand bed where I won't be able to see the glass on the bottom. The last few tanks I have setup depending on where the goby spit the water or how the water flowed I would see glass on the bottom and I am trying to avoid doing that on this tank. I am loving how the foam wall turned out and how good it hid the overflow. I have one more non-viewing wall to do with that and I will be putting 3 or 4 flat pieces of dead live rock on there and stagger them to make it shelf like on the one wall.

Eric

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about using a thin layer of foam on the bottom and covering it with sand while wet. This will prevent the little guys from digging down to the glass. Even if they push away all the sand there will still be some glued down onto the foam.

Jeremy

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a downer, but I might reconsider that, Eric. 1 to 2" is great for display, but 3" could be problematic. You either want to go full DSB or shallow for sand. The in-between is a common cause for issues and in a tank that large it'd be tough to remedy.

Ive read the same thing, I go with about 2", It looks nice, and leaves some for the sand sifters to play in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back