Sand Beds

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many people have quite a liking for DSB's (DSB as defined as being > 4 inches), but for those of you whom are suggesting to use them, how long have you acutally had one set up without disturbing it or routinely cleaning it??
I've read several threads of tank crashes being attributed to a DSB which has been up for more than 6-8 years.
If anyone has had a true deep sand bed up and running for more than 6-8 years please speak up and tell us your experiences.
Jeremy

I ran a continuous DSB in my 125 from jan '93 till jan '09 when i decided to start over with a new tank. during those years the tank went through many changes but the plenum and sand was never changed out - just added some sand now and then to make up for dissolving and loses during siphoning. it was set up EXACTLY how jaubert described with plenum and screening

however - that being said there have been a lot of changes in reefing since 1993 - one of the most important in my eyes is the ability to have huge flow and when setting up the new tank I went BB because i wanted to push some water around and i could not get the volume of flow i wanted in the 125 without blowing sand around.

i'm still building my sump but eventially in the cryptic tank component (no light, low flow) there will be a remote DSB with plenum and screening.

IMO sand in the tank should be thought of as purely decorative or for fishes. keep it at about 2" (if 1 side piles up a bit more then that and you like that fine) but KEEP IT CLEAN and vacuum often. after your first water change when you see what comes out of that sand, you'll know what i'm taking about

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back