Sand change?

eliza209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank and recently added a hygger wave maker. I'm really having a problem with the sand blowing around (nutrition mode at the slowest speed). I've tried the hygger in a couple of places and my corals seem happy with the current placement, but the sand is moving around way too much. I'm thinking of adding some coarser sand. Any suggestions? I do have a diamond goby, and some of the posts I've been searching mention larger grained sand getting stuck in their gills. Is there a "best" way to add sand if that is the solution? My current sand bed is about 1" deep (or was until the dunes were created and my rockwork is getting covered).
IMG-6955.jpg

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe way would be a slow process: Remove 1 cup of old sand per day/week until all removed. Add 1 cup of new sand per day/week and test water every few days to see if there are any swings in water perimeters. I have a 22.4 gallon with a little over 2" sand. I sand "nope! Too slow and too long!" I took it out immediately and replaced immediately. Maybe that's why my newly SPS went RTN STN haha.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 29 gallon tank and recently added a hygger wave maker. I'm really having a problem with the sand blowing around (nutrition mode at the slowest speed). I've tried the hygger in a couple of places and my corals seem happy with the current placement, but the sand is moving around way too much. I'm thinking of adding some coarser sand. Any suggestions? I do have a diamond goby, and some of the posts I've been searching mention larger grained sand getting stuck in their gills. Is there a "best" way to add sand if that is the solution? My current sand bed is about 1" deep (or was until the dunes were created and my rockwork is getting covered).
IMG-6955.jpg
Elevate the powerheads and aim it up or towards glass for gyre effect. I and many have sand without this issue.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Elevate the powerheads and aim it up or towards glass for gyre effect. I and many have sand without this issue.
Agree I point mine to the surface and have no issue I have fine sand for wrasse

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea Special Grade if you want to change sand or readjust powerheads aiming slightly up as suggested.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this wavemaker doesn’t really point up, but you can move it fairly close to the surface without issues. I have two at either end of a 32g (32” long) tank with fine sand and they do not blow the sand around. They’re about 1 1/2” below the water line and do a great job of adding the flow I need without moving the substrate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 24

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many powerheads in the tank? One powerhead shouldn't do that.

Maybe post a pic of your tank for some suggestions on placement.

natashakay.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they aren’t already I would try pointing them up towards the surface a little more and it should eliminate the issue!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back