Sand dwelling peanut worms. Share your pictures and experiences.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some quick searching online I believe I have a member of the Sipuncula species. These have multiplied quickly in my tank and seem to feed on Sabellida worms of which my tank once had thousands. So far I see no reason for concern as they live under the sand and seem not to bother anything. Anyone else with experience with this variety or if not this variety but another I would still love to hear your story.

peanutworm.JPG

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some quick searching online I believe I have a member of the Sipuncula species. These have multiplied quickly in my tank and seem to feed on Sabellida worms of which my tank once had thousands. So far I see no reason for concern as they live under the sand and seem not to bother anything. Anyone else with experience with this variety or if not this variety but another I would still love to hear your story.

peanutworm.JPG
Look like Cucumber. Not a peanut worm.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, sea cucumber. Could be. Back to the interwebs :)
+1 Sea Cucumber 100%
Usually they are feeding from the substrate bacterias and some detritus, usually completely reef safe.
I have orange - white spotted and black sea cucumbers, but I move the orange one in the sump, because it dig too much under the LR sculptures and can get hurted or squashed if any start to fall because not enough sand under it.

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing is I always thought Sea Cumcumbers a) stay on the surface of the sand and b) are moderately big. These live under the sand never coming out (I have to dig through the sand to find them) and b) they are 4 cm max when elongated and 1 cm when closed up. Anybody have a link to a Sea Cucumber i.d. that small? Thanks again guys.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Cucumber: "the smallest known species are just 3 mm (0.12 in) long, and the largest can reach 3 meters (10 ft)"
My one (the orange - white spotet) is 90% under the sand/rocks, there are over 1717 sea cucumber SP :) don't be surprised ;)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back