• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Sand in frag tank

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
I am setting up a frag tank soon and I’m not sure if u should put sand in. I know it will help stability but it might not look as good. Anyone who runs sand in there frag tank could y ok give me the pros and cons. Thanks everyone

Fragtacular Sale
OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Any sort of biomedia with flow will be good. I think the biggest thing is having some sort of established biofilter with a variety of microbes. You can always throw a bunch of media or rubble into a bucket and start cycling it
I can throw in some media from my current tank

Spare time

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I can throw in some media from my current tank

Just becareful not to take a significant amount since that seems to cause dinos if you remove too much biomedia at once (at least in both of my experiences). You could also just setup a small bucket with a heater and a pump and get some media cycling before the tank is up.

OP
Everything Aquatics

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Just becareful not to take a significant amount since that seems to cause dinos if you remove too much biomedia at once (at least in both of my experiences). You could also just setup a small bucket with a heater and a pump and get some media cycling before the tank is up.
thanks

Corals.com

Do you use "Dedicated FLOW" to try and keep your sand bed clean?

• Yes

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors